World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning members,

For many, many years, long before social media and phone cameras, a photograph of a landed fish (a rarity because not many anglers could afford a camera) was enjoyed, respected by the massses, the validity of the pic rarely if ever was questioned as to whether it was a truthful record of the event or fish, accepted at face value! Any attempts to alter a photo were usually so crude,rare and easily identified. In the 21st Century with the proliferation of gadgets ,technology, apps or whatever know-how is available to alter photographs beyond recognition of the original for self aggrandisement or to deceive must be a temptation, it is then left to the sleuths in our midst to spot anomalies and expose maunfactured photograph when one surfaces. The slickness of the technology to hand appears to be such that identifying a fake could be difficult. In the case of a rare event where an attempt at doctoring or deliberate misrepresentation of the number of fish reported caught or any other false "truth" by any means or method is exposed, what sanctions, if any, would be considered appropriate by the forum if the suspect is unequivocally proven guilty? Transparency is paramount to ensure continuity of confidence in what is being published.
Alas, it would seem that the photograph is no longer respected or accepted as the defintive proof of the truth. It is obvious from the "controversy" and questioning surounding the recent Tope landings that cynisim is widespread whether the picture is substantiated as true or false. I can uderstand anglers wanting to show their successes, but are loathe to identify where the catch was made and that is O.K.with me,but rather than falsify the location, wherever practical take the photograph against a neutral background , like the sea, and concentrate on reporting the true story of the landing without mentioning WHERE! It looks as if the sanctity of the photograph as a reliable medium of the truth is at risk of being undermined and that is a great pity!

Best regard ,

Ticker (Derek) P.S. Sorry about the difficulties I experienced , a Senior Citizen Moment!

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Morning Derek ( ticker )

Fish Catch Photos/ Reports...ACause for Concern?

I personally don't think there is anything to worry about. The forum goes through thee patches of apparent in activity at this time of year. People have other things in their minds especially those with families and young children.
Old members go, new members join and the forum changes continually.
I'm sure that within a very short time things will change again and there will be a plethora of reports pictures and stories of "the one that got away" for everyone you enjoy and take part in.

In this modern era of multi media and social media platforms people will come and go along with the input they make to forums such as this.

Happy hooking everyone. Looking forward to reading about and seeing your tails from the sea shore.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning Not so,

I appreciate your opinion but am concerned that genuine catches like the Tope at the Knap, for instance, was the subject of disbelief and unpleasant rhetoric despite the fact that the angler who caught the fish has been proved to be well and truly genuiine. I know that I personally would be aggrieved in similar circumstances if my veracity was questioned and I feel for the angler.

Best regards,
Derek (Ticker)

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Hi Derek.
No that isn't the way genuine anglers should act towards each other and I share your dismay that it occurred.
Unfortunately open forums such as this attracts a variety of individuals.
I myself have had a ligation of "photo tampering" leveled against me. ( which I obviously disproved )
I think we just have to accept that some will always doubt the good fortunes of others. I put it down to them being or feeling inadequate with their own meagre efforts.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
It is a worry for the forum, and has been sited as major reason for members stopping doing reports all together. I don't do a lot with photographs, more often fish preservation in formost in my mind. My reports have been crypticly called into question because of their lack of photographic evidence, and has made me feel why do I bother. My slant on it if the angler is that desperate to gain recognition that he has to digitally alter photographs he must be pretty desperate. He cheating us and more so himself, no differently than the guy that joins a queue in a comp with a fish that he hasn't caught.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
You don't need to doctor or manipulate a photo at all to produce a false reputation of a fishes size. Basic knowledge in photography is all that's needed, an old black and white box browny can be used to make a fish look far bigger tham it truly is.

As a photographer myself, when I mention certain facts about peoples images I often see on here its simply because it's true (not jealousy). I haven't said there's a problem doing this, its something every fishing magazine have posted on the front of each magazine to draw people into parting with their cash in the search to hopefully one day get those same catches. The thing is most people are already catching those same fish.

A couple of things happen when someone uses their mobile phone on its wide setting up close to a strap of a hound. Suddenly a 4-5lb fish looks like an 8-10lb or even bigger depending how wide the lens is and how close the photographer gets. The depth of field with modern phones makes the fish and the person behind look very sharp and in focus, so disguising the fakeness of the image.

What can't be faked are the big fingers, hence why you will see so many pictures with fingers hidden as much as possible from the picture. Another thing that can't be faked is the girth of some of these fish around the tails. However those can easily be adjusted in photoshop or other photo editing programs.

So is this wrong ? well that all depends on the reason for doing it in my opinion. If you have sponsors and want to help promote sales, well that's just like any advertising product you can think of from women's make-up to the next car.

If I get a good sized fish it gets measured on the brag mat so I can backup the size with a photo if people want to question it. Something like the yellowfin I caught two weekends ago was measured in front of 5 other people (not by me) and I mentioned that size because the fish looked bigger than the 1,640cm because of the phone and angle that was used.

This picture of a mug represents a fish and hasn't been moved at all in either of these pictures, all I have done is move my phone closer in the second shot and cropped the first.

Computer Personal computer Touchpad Netbook Peripheral
Computer Personal computer Laptop Furniture Output device

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
How a fish is handled for a photo should be in a decent supportive way in this day and age. If not people should be prepared for a bit of criticism and take it onboard for the welfare of the fish and the way anglers are represented.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Im not getting involed too much in tickers thread for likes and agreement off his mates and followers!
But!😀 my main moan when "good reports" and they are good interesting reports
come up! is the safety and health of a 45lb fish being handled from all sides pictured put in a sling for weighing!🙄who made this stupid idea up!"some div that made good money out of it🙄 this is all time consuming for the poor fishy! It dosent hold its breath and smile mind! while in a frightening alien environment! Its actually suffocating 😴

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
What strange creatures us humans are.
Some people read about a fishes capture and see a picture, then moan about how it was taken and doubt its authenticity.
Others then read their comments and moan about the moaners. ........
how bazaar ! !

Let's all just go fishing post our catches and enjoy the success of others . Does it matter if a fish is 2lb or 20lb. Whereever it was caught it was still caught.
How many of us ( none I would say ) can honestly say that no fish has ever died by our hands no matter how carefully we have been.

And on that note I'll say no more.
Happy hooking everyone.
Notso ( Keith )

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
At least we're not seeing photos of anglers standing next to piles of dead fish any more like we did years ago.
If I take a fish photo I like to leave something like a lure next to it for scale. I don't carry a tape measure and it's a handy way to estimate the length when you get home. But as that cup and lap top photo shows that can fool the eye. I'm sure most of my fish are bigger than my camera claims.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
When you belong to a club and are a competitive angler like myself every fish i catch and post a report of is weighed on officially calibrated scales .....as anglers we are often our own worst enemies and if we are not careful the demise of our sport will gather pace as more of the" poor fishies hurt "brigade get on our case ......fish are food ....otherwise we are a blood sport .....treat fish humanely and listen to your conscience ....all the rest is just noise ....(y)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts