World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Sound travels differently in fog, I wonder if the fish can pick up the amplified vibrations ?
Fish do definitely respond to vibrations. That's what their lateral lines pick up. I'm not sure they "hear" noises though. I've seen fish on the surface of lakes that are not effected by loud bangs. Yet if you stamp on the bank they swirl away. In the sea I would imagine that the rhymic slap of the wave on the shore would mask most general noises. Especially on rocky, pebbly or shingle beaches.

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Who in their right mind would want to fish on those horrible pebbles......
Me ....... for one, tonputter for another and during the year probably half the anglers in South Wales. Not to mention those who come from other far flung parts of the country.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me ....... for one, tonputter for another and during the year probably half the anglers in South Wales. Not to mention those who come from other far flung parts of the country.
Cloud Sky Water Rectangle People in nature

Those pebbles have been there for a long time ! My first fishing trips were down there , photo circa 1973. I am the one in trunks ! Maybe the pebbles were smaller back then 😉

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Cracking old photo. I was 18 then and an apprentice in Lucas Girling in Cwmbran.
Our angling club used to travel to the Knap for our Xmas comp, with the prize giving in the old Bindles ballroom and night club.
Happy days .........

· Registered
6,158 Posts
I was fishing Southerndown beach years ago with my brother in law in thick fog and similar everything was quiet, so, to liven the sesh up a bit when he wasn't looking I waded out until he couldn't see me as I couldn't see him, I then wandered to the right until I could feel his line and gave it the hardest yanks I could, all I could hear from the beach was Phil, Phil I had a massive bite but I struck it was light, to this day he still thinks he hooked the fish of a lifetime 😈😈😈

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Good one Phil. Fog on flat featureless beaches is a knightmare. I was fishing Monks one night and an early morning sea fog rolled in. I walked 10m from my rod and waded a short way to cast. Turned around and walked back to my stand and couldn't find it. Had to walk back to the water, then left and right till I found my footprints leading to the water and follow them back to my stand. Next cast I scrapped a line behind me to follow back. GORBY, RICHY and the others did the same.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back then you would always have a few big hollows in the stones that people had made to get out of the breeze, you wouldn't want fall into one in the fog. I haven't notice them recently , I guess its not a sunbathers beach anymore, probably fewer go there now unlike when the open air pool was running 💦

· Premium Member
11,206 Posts
You'll still see a few hollows along the top of the back but more to the left towards the point. The face of the pebbles is quite mobile and the winter storms move tons and tons.
Barry as a holiday resort went down hill when Butlings moved out. The lido was closed and filled in , even the boating lake is only used by the birds and a modle boat club. That said, on a sunny day the carpark is always rammed.
Oldies in camping chairs and pick nicks in the day. Youths and doggers in the night lol
I park elsewhere I will add. :D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts