World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change my old (12 year old) fish finder I am looking at the Hummingbird matrix range (Matrix 17) anyone used on of these or can anyone suggest something similar. I need one that gives a clear indication of the bottom mud /sand gravel etc.. perhaps with the posibility to connect it too my GPS

Rohan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a hummingbird 515 (250w rms, b+w, 200hz), OK, depends how deep you gonna fish, it's ok to about 30m but past that you need more power IMO. I'm looking at the Lowrance x107cdf, 500w rms, tft colour, 480 X 480 pixels, dual frequency.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rohan said:
Looking to change my old fish finder, can anyone suggest something. I need one that gives a clear indication of the bottom mud /sand gravel etc.
Rohan, might I suggest one of the Lowrance line of depth sounders. They are available in combo GPS/Sounder and also stand alone sounder configuration. The reason that I prefer the Lowrance line is that they give a much better indication of bottom structure than other sounders in the same price range.

In the above photo of my Lowrance LCX 104C the Grouper hanging over this small ledge are clearly indicated by their upside down "comma" shaped echoes. Two small schools of bait are also shown above the ledge.

The vertical lines going down from the bottom are the echo tails and indicate that the bottom is hard as the boat passes over the ledge. Whereas the sand bottom on either side of the ledge sends back less reflection and therefore the tails are shorter.

Another nice feature of this sounder and it’s stable mates is that they have the ability to record the display on a SD card for later playback. Hence my photo.

I have never been impressed with some other brands ability to show hard bottom, or as we affectionately refer to it, "Good Bottom."

I have used this sounder routinely in 600 to 1000 feet of water.

If you are interested I will also post a picture of one of the fish seen in the recording.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts