World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could any of you experts out there help me with this one got its self
on to my mackeral line during session last sunday while fishing 2 miles off rame head corwall during a session which produced a healhty bag of mackeral, bigish whiting and a couple of stay herings while basking in the sunshine !

·
Registered
519 Posts
looks like a small Red Band Fish ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that taff i have also got welsh blood in my family so i know how it feels to be half welsh quite good really and yes it was a nice fish returned alive to fight another day!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no didnt weigh it wasnt sure what it was,was discribed earlier as a small red
band on that quote somewhat relieved as regards records

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Only ever seen two. Both caught on the same day on the Clyde off Inverkip a couple of years ago.

Wasn't the same fish caught twice, a seagull got the first one after it was released.

Quite an aggressive fish.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I imagine the red band fish is a fairly rare fish to be caught on rod and line. It usually lives in deep water from 15m-200m deep. They spend most of their time lying vertically upwards in burrows in the mud or sand, sometimes with their heads poking out. They occasionally come out of their burrows and swim in small shoals. They are only recorded around the SW coast of England and Wales with a few off the South coast of Ireland. They are believed to be present right up the west coast to Scotland but havent been reported here.

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
I imagine the red band fish is a fairly rare fish to be caught on rod and line. It usually lives in deep water from 15m-200m deep. They spend most of their time lying vertically upwards in burrows in the mud or sand, sometimes with their heads poking out. They occasionally come out of their burrows and swim in small shoals. They are only recorded around the SW coast of England and Wales with a few off the South coast of Ireland. They are believed to be present right up the west coast to Scotland but havent been reported here.
Was Scotlands West Coast, Clyde area we caught ours. Later heard of a few other people catching them in the same area. That was also from boats.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the website i got my information from was a diving website which reported unusual fish and other creatures. Red Band fish are believed to live right up the West coast of the UK to Scotland and your catch proves that! The diving website hadn't had confirmed sightings. Well done :)

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
What a strange fish to get, nice though, well done

1 - 14 of 14 Posts