World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my mrs fishing today to christen 'her' new rod and reel. Just a few hours off a local harbour wall to have a bit of fun catching some wrasse.

She managed to christen it with lots of small pollack and wrasse (even managing to lose a stonker which had her rod bent double and was taking line even after 5 minutes).

Anyways she also caught this fish, which I think may be a Tompot Blenny, but as I have never caught one myself I just wanted to check with you guys.

Sorry about the crap photos, the mrs had taken my camera out of my fishing bag and forgot to return it, so we had to make do with pics on my phone.

What do you guys think it is?

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Thats a blenny

·
Registered
563 Posts
It sure is a Tompot Blenny distinguished by the wee tentacle things on its head

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, don't suppose you know the easy to way to tell the difference between corkwings & ballan wrasse?

Crappy photo, but I caught this one and others that differed with a black spot near the rear fin at the top.

I haven't caught wrasse before, so not sure if I have caught just #16 species for the year or also #17.

Is there any easy way to tell (if only I had that damn camera, hehe).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So hard to tell, I was hoping that the distinct black dot on the rear of the one I caught but didn't get a picture of would easily identify it, but I guess not.

I think I will have to say that one is a Ballan and have another bash down there, this time with the camera to try to catch some more similar ones that I can identify and hopefully help me towards 20 species this year.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
Corkwing wrasse have a distinct point to their gill plate and are generally a rounder, more compact looking wrasse! vague description I know but you'll get what I mean when you catch 1! hard to tell as can't see the gill plate but the one in your photo looks like a Ballan to me, more elongate body. here's a few links to help you out:
Also the edge line running of the gill cover nearest the eye has a serrated edge to it on both Corkwing & Rockcook.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, having searched a bit more, I believe the other fish I caught were Goldsinnys as they definately had a dark spot in front of the upper margin of the tail fin, whereas it seems that the although the Corkwings have a dark spot in front of their tail fins, this seems to be more centrally placed around the lateral line of the fish.

So some Ballan and Goldsinnys today, the mrs can't wait to get out again and nor can I, this wrasse fishing could be addictive I reckon.

In future I shall employ these rules of identification:

Dark band across the whole fish in front of tail = Rock Cook.

Dark spot in front of upper margin of tail fin and another at the front of dorsal fin = Goldsinny.

Dark spot centrally in front of tail fin, dark coloured spot behind eye and serated gill plate = Corkwing.

Similar in appearance to Corkwing but less round and without serated gill plate = Ballan.

Would these crude rules of identification serve me alright, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for all your help.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Dark band across the whole fish in front of tail = Rock Cook.
Also very small mouth and normaly thin blue lines around the head area

Dark spot in front of upper margin of tail fin and another at the front of dorsal fin = Goldsinny.

Dark spot centrally in front of tail fin, dark coloured spot behind eye and serated gill plate = Corkwing.
Dark spot on the tail is normally only visible on a female Corky, they also have a distended blue vent, crescent shaped spot behind the eye is always visible on both sexes.

Similar in appearance to Corkwing but less round and without serated gill plate = Ballan.

Would these crude rules of identification serve me alright, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for all your help.
yup you are pretty much spot on with that.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent, can't wait for the winds to die down so I can get out and see if I can bag my self a corkwing and add to my species list.

Think I will try using small hardback crabs this time though as they were stripping the ledgered ragworm virtually before the lead had hit the bottom.

I also wouldn't mind getting a sizeable one as the way the fish that my mrs lost bent her new spinning rod (20g-60g rated) looked like awesome fun. Also think to stand any chance of landing a biggy a drop net is a must!

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts