World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is slighty different to the norm, but I'm a 3rd year marine biol student at UoL doing surveys of fish health in the mersey. I didn't manage to identify one of the fish we sampled last week, so I kept it and froze the little bugger, before getting it out today for a closer look - I think it might be an immature poor cod, due to the large eye / tiny barbule under the chin, but really not sure! Any help would be much appreciated :thumbs: DSC00339.jpg

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I reckon it is a codlet, loads of them about at the moment especially in the North Sea

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
Hi all. This is slighty different to the norm, but I'm a 3rd year marine biol student at UoL doing surveys of fish health in the mersey. I didn't manage to identify one of the fish we sampled last week, so I kept it and froze the little bugger, before getting it out today for a closer look - I think it might be an immature poor cod, due to the large eye / tiny barbule under the chin, but really not sure! Any help would be much appreciated :thumbs: View attachment 196402
:clap2: Poor cod. :clap2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was 8.7 cm to be exact, so yeah it was well undersize. But, as much as it pains me to take undersize fish, it was for the benefit of my university dissertation and to be fair I've released 99% of the fish captured for it overall :) The only others I've taken have been oversize flatties, for the pot!

G

·
The size. was more about signs of the fishies development as opposed to being upset it was ickle! But now you mention it, think of them fish stocks!! :nono:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i think its a lesser spotted wave dancer, they come out to play this time of year !!!!!!!!!! ( poor cod ) LOL

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Tis not the best of pictures to try and ID on a phone but it looks like it is a Poor Cod.

Edit

Just seen it on the PC... tis 100% a Poor Cod. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts