World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Here is a pic of the fish I caught down Brighton marina the other day, still not toally sure of the ID but think it might be a Shanny ... Just wanted to check with some of the experts here.

It was caught right by the wall on the bottom on a size 6 hook with squid :

BTW after cleaning the kitchen again it still smells of squid :) ... probably did not help that it was from a previous session so had been defrosted once. Mind you I don't think I'll have to worry about anyone dumpster diving for my personal information :yucky:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks, if it helps the dorsal fin was continuous down to the tail .. doesn't really show up in the photo.

Pretty sure it was not a bullhead, had a few of them and the mouth on this was smaller and the head not as wide ... It also did not seem as 'spikey' if you know what I mean :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
blenny in my eyes but hell all those fish look remarkably similar!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Its a blenny and not a dragonet or bullhead.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks .... Will go with the majority and will call it a blenny :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks like a Tompot Blenny

All the best

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
blenny of some sort, I used to catch loads of them as a kid & yours looks the same from what I can tell, Rob.......

·
Registered
480 Posts
almost certainly common blenny (shanny)

only other likely candidate is the tompot blenny which has tentacles on top of its head unlike shanny which has none - can't see tentacles in your pic, plus general appearance says shanny to me

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd agree with it being a Shanny. The Tompot Blenny has a pair of soft horns above the eyes and is normally a redish brown. The Shanny lives up against walls and the head looks like a miniature Wolfish with teeth. There are loads of them alongside the inside of the west arm at Shoreham.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did not have any soft horns above the eyes ( at least that I noticed ) :)

So a common blenny then.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, not much of a fish but a new species for me :)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Did not have any soft horns above the eyes ( at least that I noticed ) :)

So a common blenny then.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, not much of a fish but a new species for me :)
Theres zillions of common/tompot blennies/gobies if you fish down the wall on the arm. Usually get plagued by them when im after big wrasse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.