World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this was a blenny/shanny thats what it looked like, but i had no idea they got this big,
am i right, if not can anyone here put me right?
Cheers Tozer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Tozer

To me it looks like a gurnard/wrasse hybrid. One could be barking up the wrong tree?. Anyway fascinating fish what ever it is.

Woodster

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
OK, I like this game. Is it a tub gurnard perhaps?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know it's not a gurnard, it had the face, and teeth of a blenny (i had the damn thing hanging off my finger for five minutes!! :mad: )
i was thinking that if it was benny it must be close to some sort of mini record!!
And no that isn't my arm behind it, as my girlfriend asked when i showed her the pick. :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wasn't a bullhead, it had white teeth like a wrasse or blenny, i've still got the mark in my finger! i've cuaght blennies from rock pools as kid (and an adult!) i'm ninety percent sure thats what it was, it wieghed aound 4-6 ounces i didn't weigh it tho.
i think what i've been calling scorpian fish are bull heads tho, i caught a couple o them that day too.

i think this is it, it's a shanny, but the pick doesn't show all of it.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/shanny.html

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i,d av said a gurnard, but somthing not quite right about the head, weird thow,hope you find out what it is,good catch thow, my mind boggles........

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Looks like a small Lumpsucker ???? dunno though cant tell as you cant see its belly?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Tozer I meant to ask, did it have a red like sore on its belly ?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i looked at the aquarium site it was a shanny (i think) it had eeth lik a mother f****r it hung onto my finger and wouldn't let go, i reckon i had a record there, not i first, i beat the irish tench record a few years back and didn't know it!!!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
As above, without doubt! Mind you, as Trefor Pier is falling down it could be a great Headbanger Lump-rubber!

Seriously, did you get any measurements and if that's not an arm what is it? If it is an arm how far behind the fish is it? Did you use one of those wide-angled lenses that take the 'photos for the front pages of fishing magazines?

Just had another look at the piccy and finally realised that the 'Arm' is your FINGER, the one it nipped! Well I'm old see! The last two joints of my forefinger are about 5cm long, which therefore means that its about 15-20cm long?

Well done, you would not have caught it underneath the Suspension Bridge last Friday i can tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on you Species baggers, tell us what it is. You must have caught one, surely!1

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bigdunny said:
Tozer I meant to ask, did it have a red like sore on its belly ?
Sorry no it didn't have sore on its belly, to clear it up the fish is still hooked, i'm using the tip of my finge to hold it still while i took photo with my phone! Yeah it is about 10" long.
I caught it on four peeler legs on a size 4 hook down the side, i also caught plaice, coalies and a bullhead doing that.
I was looking at the harbour wall at trefor, i reckon if u removed the pier it would be ok to fish straight from the wall.
Could line up along the fence

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers mate, just come to north wales, i've only been here a matter o months, i've never seen so many marks offering so many differents species anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts