World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i've not caught a lot of fish species in my first year at it, but I was wondering if there is a reference book for ID'ing fish that anyone would recommend?

So far i've been targeting fairly easy to ID species, but you never know what a fishing trip might through up?

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Mate,
Colins to a 'pocket book' for identifying fish, try looking on amazon - make sure it is for British Marine fish as they do books on freshwater fish and others too. Handy to have in your pocket, eventually you will not need it. I am lucky enough to have worked with fish and been fishing for sooo many years, in a recent comp there was a major debate about a mini species 'it's a weaver', it's a blenny etc etc - it was, as I correctly said, a leopard spotted goby.
It quite honestly baffles me how even experienced anglers cannot tell a weaver from a haddock...ugly little nasty so n so's...:doh:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if unsure about a fish i use the site that Wookie has posted the link for. it is highly recommended

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would seriously suggest you look into purchasing a pocket book like Collins or Observers guides. Some of these can be expensive if they're collectors' items. However, a browse through a second hand book dealer may produce some decent results. Otherwise do a search for something like British Sea Fish books. See what comes up. Otherwise if you can get hold of a chart that can be folded into the pocket, that would help.

Websites are fine if you have access at the time. Imagine standing on a blustery beach or slippery rainswept rocks, trying to log in with the netbook/notebook with mobile broadband, to find out what that wee fish is on your hook. All the time trying to keep the driving rain off!

Or you could take a picture and go home and find that that fish could have been a keeper, good for the pot.

What I do is make sure I know what I am targeting is recognised.

Like foraging for wild mushrooms...I only pick what are known to me as being good to eat. I just leave anything else well alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts