World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Fish markets

964 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Puggy 
#1 ·
My nearest is Billingsgate but I have never been there but I was wondering is it possible to just turn up and buy fish?
Is there a minimum amount you have to buy?
Has anyone been and done this to stock up their freezers?

#2 ·
Been there and done it!

You can just turn up and buy what you want and as much as you want.
I bought 24 boxes of squid, razors and 2 large whole salmon.

Opening times are Tuesday to Saturday 5am - 8.30am.

I found it was better to get there between 7am and 7.30am, less people and a better price for fresh.

#4 ·
Is it worth the trip? is it a lot cheaper?
Well it was when I went, but that was 18 months ago. Don't think it has changed much since and its buying direct. So will be cheaper than buying from a tackle shop or fish mongers.

If you live near then I would suggest going to have a look. Its an eye opener to say the least.

I might be going Saturday if I can get up.

#5 ·
I went about a year or so ago. Go there at 5am. Flathead mentioned get there for 7am, thats a big no no for me, coming from Gravesend, as we know traffic at that time in the morning is horrendous upto the blackwall tunnel area. Brought boxes of squid, think 4 for a fiver. A gallon bag of pink shrimps @ about 8quid. Some big old razorfish, was about a tenner for a bunch of them. That was about it really.

#6 ·
Cheers guys, the squid sounds cheap enough, is it the same frozen 1lb boxes you would get in the tackle shops?

I,m in Gravesend too, the traffic shouldnt be too bad on a saturday at that time, different story coming home :crazy:

I need to get a freezer for my bait, I'm sure she wouldnt notice a few boxes of squid :whistling

#7 ·
It was a Saturday I went and the traffic was no problem at all. I did go early at 5.30-6am but it was way too busy with our overseas cousins using old lady shopping trolleys and the car park getting full and you have to park up the road and its a long walk with boxes of squid or bags of fish. Whilst there it got quieter and the merchants lowered the price on the fresh goods so they could get rid quicker. That is why I suggested going later. When I went squid was roughly £22 for 24 1lb boxes inside one big box. Again that was 18 months ago.

#10 ·
I went during week day, i suppose i saturday would be better traffic wise. Yes, same 1lb boxes you get, and a lot of people around that time in the morning, loads of stalls there selling roughly the same stuff, as margategirl said, have a walk around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.