World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Fish names & slang

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  ETEC 
#1 ·
Hello again :)

I checked the fishing glossary but couldn't find the info so I thought I'd start this thread.

Online I've seen various slang names for some fish but have no idea what they might be - and also people in different areas might have different terms for different fish. I've read about 'dogs' (lesser spotted dogfish?) but what is a 'smut'??

It'd be a grand help to clueless people like me if folks could add their names or ones they've heard.

Thanking you in advance!

#10 ·
For hound think dog for dog think mutt therefore a smooth mutt or smut is a smoothound which like tope give birth to live young or pups as they are bound to be called.
Stinkies are pout cos of the smell.
Roker are thornback rays in Essex dunno why.
Rockling are slugs cos they're slimy
yting are (dont think I'll bother finishing that sentence)

#12 ·
just a few i can think of that may help you........

cod = coddies, codling, bucket mouths
bass = silvers, spikeys, schoolies,
eels = snottys
smoothounds = smuts and starrys oviously.....
dogfish = dogs, doggies,
skate = roker
coley / coalfish / saithe = blacks

and if you didnt know, theres no such fish as 'rock eel' it can be anything like dogfish, bull huss, smoothounds, spurdogs,............:thumbs:

G
#13 ·
cod= going by size, robbies, babies, big babbies, medium, sprags, coo's all known as green.
haddock=haddies going by size, metro's , rounders, seed, guid seed, pingers, jumbo's
gunard=goudies
coalfish by size= podlies, black, torpedo's
bass=buckulet mackerel

#14 ·
young female skate maids small sole slips WASPS IN ESSEX ARE CALLED JASPERS grrrrrrhate em

#15 ·
Spider crabs=gavricks,dogfish= roehounds.Huss,tope,spurdog,smoothound=tope,whiting=sandy creeps,flounder=flukes,sea trout=spotted pollack,bass spikey things.

#16 · (Edited)
Just thought, I remember years back, up here guys referred to peeler crab as Pinnel crab. I never hear people say that anymore though. I wonder if it was just a North East term or was it used across the country? Its interesting how slang words die out after a while.

Also, a lot of the slang terms are fairly obvious such as the various terms for bass, but I am intrigued about Skate. Why are they called Roker?

Cheers
Dean

#21 ·
went out on a charter boat once and a couple of idiots and his friends were calling dogfish 'paki's of the sea'.

Throughout the rest of the day his intelligent, insightful and liberating views that he clearly had failed to shine through.

#23 ·
went out on a charter boat once and a couple of idiots and his friends were calling dogfish 'paki's of the sea'.

Throughout the rest of the day his intelligent, insightful and liberating views that he clearly had failed to shine through.
LOL, I'd like to hear them say that within earshot of my OH, who's Nepalese (and looks Indian) and his ex-Gurkha mates! :black_eye

#24 ·
Down here in Kent

Thornback rays = "Roker" or "Raymondo"
Whiting = "Pin Whiting" (smaller ones) "Ting" or "Channels" (larger ones)
Rockling = "Ling" (not to be confused with proper Ling!) or "Slugs"
Bass = "Silver Bars"

A "Dogfish" or "Doggie" usually means a Lesser Spotted Dogfish (the smaller kind) whereas a "Rock", "Huss", "Bullhuss" etc. is a GSD (the larger kind).

"Pup" is usually used to refer to the young of any shark (dogfish, smoothounds, tope, etc).

I've noticed in Deal they refer to any kind of ray caught as "Skate" even though most of them are actually Thornback or Small-Eyed Rays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.