World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a cracking session the other night, fished Lime Kilns near Rhosse Point.

Pouting, rockling, strap conger, dogs, 2 small bass.

All on stinking squid, it was all I had in the freezer, dont believe anything they say about pink squid.

It was a bite a cast, was experimenting with a fixed paternoster with a really short snood, hooked almost every bite, 12 fish in total.

I fished right underneath the caravans on the cliff, but be very careful here, fish small tides only.

Its rough ground as well, however I hardly lost anything as every cast seemed to conect with fish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Havent heard of the name "Lime Kilns" - i live in rhoose - when you say - 'beneath the caravans' - do you mean fontygary - down the sloping path, onto the rocks via the rather dodgy handrail (thats been there since i was a child) and around the cliffs to the right?

Just wondering. I live a few hundred yards from the fonty - but have only fished the beach twice. At high tide (especially on very high) theres no beach - water is up to the cliffs. Tended to fish half tide.

Just wondered - being so close - may be inclined to give it a go again. The cliffs are all crumbly there as well - like most of the vale - so i tend to stay clear..

anyway - sounds like u had a great session!

May grab whats left of my frozen squid n mackerel and have a try.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, by the caravans I mean the porthkerry ones.

If you drive onto the new estate at rhoose, follow it all the way round and you will get to that big quarry lake(it will be on your left hand side)

Park just before this lake, you will see a little grass area, with houses to your left, there is a a little path leading down to the beach.

When you are on the beach turn left(rhoose point will be to your right) and walk back up towards porthkerry, along the beach.

If you look up on the cliff you will see the tops of caravans, this is the lime kilns.

Its very rough ground but I got away with it the other day.

When I fish fontygary I head off to the left and fish low water, if you go rigt around the point, you will find cleaner ground but still quite rough.

There is a liitle patch of clean ground at fontygary, basically right in front of the steps at low water, but the rougher ground is better in my opinion.

If I fish rhoose itself I park at the railway line(by the new train station) head down the path with the stream and at the beach turn left and walk about 50 yards left. Here, at low water, its ledges , still rough, but easier to fish than the point further over which is boulders and rough as it comes. The tide is strong all along here and I fish small tides.

I have fished fontygary at high water, drop down the railings, head left for 100 yards or so, before the point ends the high cliff will be behind you, fish here on a small tide, very rough ground, fishing onto sharp ledges and rocks, for safety I fish an hour after high on a small tide and fish it down to low.

·
Registered
370 Posts
this lime kinls is near rhoose point new estate then is it?

also glyn do you live in rhoose?
do you go to the blue anchor six bells or the green dragon?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive onto new estate, keep on this road until you get to a roundabout, turn left here, then look for a footpath on your left, which is just before that lake.

Walk down this path, over a little wall, down to the beach, turn left, about 500 yards, here is the lime kilns.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thx for info bluebeard,

Yes Localfisher - I do live in Rhoose (up the road from fontygary) - just moved back here recently after 15 years in London, - havent found my 'local' yet - still finding my way around (open to recommendations though :) ).

Been to the blue anchor a few times - thats quite close, was going to suss out the Highwayman an all - but not been yet. (Have popped into the fontygary - but only cos I ran outta **** after a fishin session and the shops were closed).

"six bells or the green dragon" - wow theres more?

Typical welsh Vale area mind - two shops , one post office, one takeaway and five pubs hehe :). Gotta love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts