World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I prevent it? Is the hook too small, baited incorrectly or is it just bad luck? It happened a few times with Whiting yesterday. I was using 2 different size hooks, size 1 & size 2 hooks, at the time I didn't think to notice which rig it was happening with.

Apologies if this has been asked a hundred times, I haven't found anything on it.

Jon

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Gut hooked. Some people say use circle hooks- search for Rob Amick's review on here- very useful.

I'd say bigger hooks myself, 2/0.

At the end of the day it's bad luck for the fish.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Been using circle hooks for quite a while now and I hardly get any gut hooked fish. I'd say 95% are lip hooked and 90% only need a shake to remove the hook.

Going up a few sizes doesn't hurt either as plenty of fish have a bigger mouth than stomach and have had a few dabs etc on 3/0 circles this year and plenty of whiting on 4/0 - 6/0 circles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Helpful advice, i have had to kill a few undersize flounder due to gut hooking, i'll give circle hooks a look in! thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.