World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its still that time of year when were struggling to catch and cook fish for the table ...well I am anyway....so
its fun to turn to something tasty we can prep or you can get your friendly Butcher to do for you......

With a bit of help from my local Butcher he explained how to Spatchcock
the chicken and although fidly its worth doing once youve got the hang of it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...378F59B08609EDCE8CC8378F59B08609ED&FORM=VIRE4

I added the above vid as its easy to follow.....................

Ingredients

1 spatchcocked chicken (about 1.6kg)...fed me and Jude
1 bunch of Thyme or sprinkle 2 tsps. dried
1 bunch of Rosemary or sprinkle 1 tsp dried
8 Cloves of Garlic...or use 3 tsps of Garlic Paste or to taste
8 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 inch piece of Fresh Ginger or use 1 Tsp Ginger Paste or to taste
Sea salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Fresh Lemons Sliced(or salted preserved Lemons,if you can source them use them as the salted Lemons really intensify the flavour)

So,now weve got our Chicken laid out in a Roasting dish lets bash the herbs.

Put the whole Cloves,salt and pepper,along with some Thyme leaves and Rosemary pettles in the Pestle and bruise the herbs to extract the flavours as well as breaking them down,once done add the olive oil and stir together.

Make some cuts in the thicker parts of the chicken meat and massage the Herb Marinade all over the bird both sides.
Leave skin side up and grate half of the Ginger over the bird.

I have marinated the bird and cooked it straight away but for a stronger herb flavour I fridge it for 4 hours.

Preheat your oven to 220 degrees(200 in my fan assisted oven),and after seasoning the chicken cook it for 30 mins.

OH AND A QUICK HOW TO ON THE SALTED LEMONS...........

Its not all about the fish or meat,sometimes those little extras make the difference to the flavour.

so...........

Get a couple of Kilner jars from Tesco
a bag of cooking salt is fine but you can use flaked salt if your rich
10 to 20 unwaxed lemons,fresher the better.

Sterilise the jars by placing in boiling water then dry them in the oven 150 degrees for 10 mins should do.

Wash the lemons and top and tail.......chop the lemons into 1/8ths and lay on a chopping board,now sprinkle
with the salt,place 2 teaspoons of salt into the bottom of each jar,now shove as many segments into the jar as you can....go on stuff it as full as you can.
once filled top it off with more fresh lemon juice and seal.

Place the jars in the cupboard and once a week give em a good shake,they should last around a year,but try and leave em alone for about
1 month so the salt gets bizzy on the lemons....3 months sees the lemons soften and ready to use
if you can leave them alone..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

usage.........

Whole chickens ....shove a few in the centre it creates a lovely flavour.
Curries......add one or two to any curry to enrich the flavour

fish......if doing bass in a bag recipe just add a couple of slices
or whole bass just add a couple to the gut cavity.

Fish soups and stews also can be flavoured the same.

That said you can always wash the segments when you remove them from the jar to cut down on the saltyness
or leave as it......try it........simples.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can add bay leaves or fresh herbs of your choosing to the jar as well just for a different flavour.

Remove the bird and slice the Lemons.

Place the Lemon slices over the bird and grate the rest of the fresh Ginger,carefullt tilt the cooking tray and spoon over the hot flavoured oils over the bird,return bird to the oven and cook for a further 20 mins or so or untill the chicken is cooked through.

Remove cooked Chicken from oven and let stand for 10 mins.

Serve with Salad or veggies of your choice.

(Note,if Spatchcocking is not your thing this recipe works equally well with Breast,Thigh or Leg Joint pieces,the only difference is I put the joints into a large plastic food bag and tip the marinade in and shake vigorously, seal bag and leave in fridge for 4 hours.)

This is deff one Chicken recipe that eats just as well hot or put in foil and eaten cold the following day.

Enjoy

Gazza

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Skate that looks great.
I got a Dehlia book somewhere that has a similar recipe.
Chicken with 20 garlic i think it is.
You get whole chicken and coat with a little olive oil and sea salt and Black pepper over skin, quarter a lemon and put inside it and add 2 bayleaf, put in tray and put 20 garlic in and cook in oven.
When done remove all and use 1/3 veg stock cube and little water and mix with juices on heat for a while, add squeezed lemon as much to your taste.
Cut/rip chicken up and put serving on plate with some whole garlic and pour over hot juices.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yer,I think I got this from a Hairy bikers book a few moons ago,im sure they all copy recipes and add a few bits here and there....im no different when cooking....its half the fun mate.....experimentation.

your version sounds tasty too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That looks scrumptious, I might try it later along with the salted Lemons.
Cheers for putting that up Gaza.

lighty

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yer,as a local lad to me,if your ever on that big steam ship for the long voyage of discovery over the solent waters to the motherland I might just see you at Lymington and you can have a jar of Salted lemons.....Ill trade it for a stick of Shanklin Rock..........;);)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yer,as a local lad to me,if your ever on that big steam ship for the long voyage of discovery over the solent waters to the motherland I might just see you at Lymington and you can have a jar of Salted lemons.....Ill trade it for a stick of Shanklin Rock..........;);)
What me! go over onto the Mainland, Phew! gives me the jitters just thinking about it, if you don't know, there's some weird things going on over there m8, as it is, it's bad enough driving through Chale to get to Whale Chine:)
Seriously, going to try the salted lemons later, maybe when the macky's are in and I get some, I fancy those lemons with oily fish.

lighty

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for that Lighty that's exactly how im gonna do some on the grill/barby next time mate,butterfly
the mackies....lay some of the salted lemons with herbs on one side and wrap the other side over it and using one of those metal fish shaped mesh holder/grippers....grill em ....cant bluddy well wait now....;)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
cheers for that Lighty that's exactly how im gonna do some on the grill/barby next time mate,butterfly
the mackies....lay some of the salted lemons with herbs on one side and wrap the other side over it and using one of those metal fish shaped mesh holder/grippers....grill em ....cant bluddy well wait now....;)
Now you made me hungry, I'll try that down on the beach, macky fresh from the sea and salted lemons..yum!

lighty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.