World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porthclais Thursday 05/04/07

Congaqueen and I headed off to Porthclais full of anticipation ahead of the evenings fishing. This venue has been very productive for us in the past and we thought we would be in for a bit of sport. We took mackeral, squid, ragworm and sandeels and although a beautiful evening the fish did not want to come out and play. We fished with bait casted out into the deep, float fished and threw a couple of spinners out. Not so much as a bite. As darkness fell we moved from the ledges to the harbour and again not a bite. Then our lamp packed up and it was time for the comfort of home and a few ciders.

Sunday Caerfai 08/04/07

On Sunday we headed off for Caerfai to see if our luck would improve with a change of venue. Not having fished here before I was looking forward to trying the venue. We wandered along the coastal path and found some good ledges facing out to the open sea on the left hand side and a good looking gully to the right. The views from Caerfai are quite breathtaking. We took fresh peeler and lug worm, ragworm, sandeels, mackeral and squid. We fished with floats and casting out into the deeps and again fishing proved very difficult. Did manage one dogfish.
The views and nice weather though made up for the lack of fish.

We were very surprised not to catch any wrasse or pollack. Any ideas or is it a tadge early for these marks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It might be early for the wrasse but there's normally a few pollack around from early April,I've even managed some on the fly!.I find Caerfai better at night for bottom fishing,especially in spring.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
great report mates even if the fish were hard to come by. Let me know when you are out and about again I would like to join you.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
the dangler managed a few wrasse down that way on saturday, i think they were taken on rag worm. shame you didnt bag yourselfs a few more fish. well done for the effort:clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Just back after a trip to Caerfai, started fishing around 1400.

We tried the eastern side: firstly the point at the end fishing back towards the narrow bay and secondly the slabby reddish rock-ledges a short distance to the NE, and facing towards Solva and that bigger bay. We had every bait imaginable, sadly apart from peeler, which could have been useful. Got good groundbait-slicks going at both places. All for a single 2lb ballan caught by my mate at the first mark - he was pleased! We floatfished, legered, spun & feathered at all ranges from under your feet to 100m; it was just one of those days when the fish were either not about or not in feeding mood!

Tiny neap, ebb-tide, sea flat calm possibly conspired against us catching much?

Grand spot - will take camera next time. Bit of rubbish on the slabby mark but when I picked it up to put in our crap-bag, I found 2 leads and a few good hooks underneath! Pretty much replaced what I had lost LOL!

Cheers - John

Edit: mate's wrasse was on a light flapper rig baited with ragworm.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
See Paul1978's report,he caught pollack and........MACKEREL on the weekend at Caerfai!

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
6,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all the responses all and any advice always appreciated. Will certainly be hammering the St Davids area over the summer months. Apart from the fishing the stunning views have got to be some of the best in the world.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just back after a trip to Caerfai, started fishing around 1400.

We tried the eastern side: firstly the point at the end fishing back towards the narrow bay and secondly the slabby reddish rock-ledges a short distance to the NE, and facing towards Solva and that bigger bay. We had every bait imaginable, sadly apart from peeler, which could have been useful. Got good groundbait-slicks going at both places. All for a single 2lb ballan caught by my mate at the first mark - he was pleased! We floatfished, legered, spun & feathered at all ranges from under your feet to 100m; it was just one of those days when the fish were either not about or not in feeding mood!

Tiny neap, ebb-tide, sea flat calm possibly conspired against us catching much?

Grand spot - will take camera next time. Bit of rubbish on the slabby mark but when I picked it up to put in our crap-bag, I found 2 leads and a few good hooks underneath! Pretty much replaced what I had lost LOL!

Cheers - John

Edit: mate's wrasse was on a light flapper rig baited with ragworm.
I believe i watched u climbing your way down to the first mark when i was walking the path with my dear wife, i was dead jealous it looked a cracking mark, shame the fish didnt show for u

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
It's a nice mark for sure, but you are a bit limited at high water as to where you can bottom-fish as submerged rocks close in tend to catch your mainline. Floatfishing or spinning would be best when the fish are in.

Passed a couple walking back when we were on the way to the first mark and the chap had a rod rigged up with mackerel lures - was that you, if so a belated Hi!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's a nice mark for sure, but you are a bit limited at high water as to where you can bottom-fish as submerged rocks close in tend to catch your mainline. Floatfishing or spinning would be best when the fish are in.

Passed a couple walking back when we were on the way to the first mark and the chap had a rod rigged up with mackerel lures - was that you, if so a belated Hi!

Cheers - John
Nah i wasnt allowed to go that day i had had my quota for the weekend :schmoll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts