World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to try again on the river although only small bites nothing special.

I have a photo below (the second one) can i ask is my bait presentation OK? Thanks

Really really calm and warm

Is my bait presentation ok?

Thanks again,

N-E-A:D

· Registered
2,886 Posts
No mate,

Its a version of a pennel rig.
You dont normally bait up the top hook on a pennel! The top hook should be able to move on the hooklength and is just nicked in the top of the bait. It serves two purposes

1 It acts as a bait stop, vital if using bait clips. ( just twist the hooklength around the hook to secure- I prefer to fix the top hook using a powergum stop knot)
2 It allows you to hook more fish as basically you have a hook at both ends of your bait. The top hook is often the hook that hooks the fish. I would gues you will almost double your catch rate!!

If you need a hand let me know as I fish the river regularly and can pass on some useful basics.

Ps TBH you will need to start using crab in the river for any chance of success.

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You dont normally bait up the top hook on a pennel! The top hook should be able to move on the hooklength and is just nicked in the top of the bait. It serves two purposes

1 It acts as a bait stop, vital if using bait clips. ( just twist the hooklength around the hook to secure- I prefer to fix the top hook using a powergum stop knot)
2 It allows you to hook more fish as basically you have a hook at both ends of your bait. The top hook is often the hook that hooks the fish. I would gues you will almost double your catch rate!!

If you need a hand let me know as I fish the river regularly and can pass on some useful basics.

Ps TBH you will need to start using crab in the river for any chance of success.

you have a PM mate

· Registered
506 Posts
u will catch fish with that setup but id stick to a 2 hook slapper with size 2 hooks or 1/0s or 2/0 which ever u prefer

· Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
u will catch fish with that setup but id stick to a 2 hook slapper with size 2 hooks or 1/0s or 2/0 which ever u prefer

not sure what a 2 hook slapper is not unless you meant flapper?

IF not then can you send me a picture of the rig so i can copy Hehe^^:)

· Registered
506 Posts
yeah i meant 2 hook flapper m8 :blink: hehe.. try some glow grubs or lumi beads heard they work wonders in the tyne

· Registered
12,414 Posts
your biggest problem is those hooks. they look to be about size 4/0

you only need a size ..... 2 ..... thats not a 2/0. even when theres the odd better cod about a 1/0 is the most youll need there.

theres no need to use a pennel on the river especially that far up.

a very basic 2 hook flapper is all you,ll ever need there. keep the hooklengths about 2ft long and use a luminous bead above the bait held close to it with a stop knot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.