World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate was fishing Deal pier today and a fishery patrol inflatable came around the pier, they landed on the pier and apparently a guy was fishing on the lower deck and had an undersized smoothound which he had killed, and so my mate told me they took his details, if this true its not before time.
There were lots of anglers on the pier today can anyone collaborate this.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
My mate was fishing Deal pier today and a fishery patrol inflatable came around the pier, they landed on the pier and apparently a guy was fishing on the lower deck and had an undersized smoothound which he had killed, and so my mate told me they took his details, if this true its not before time.
There were lots of anglers on the pier today can anyone collaborate this.
Doubt it as Hounds have no MLS...

http://www.kentandessex-sfc.co.uk/id17.html

:)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
ITS ABOUT TIME 1 OF THEM GOT DOWN THE ADDY & NICKED SOME OF THOSE ***** WHO TAKE EVERYTHING THEY CATCH & SEAGULLS TOO SO I'V HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Please forgive me I simply don't know what came over me :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: It must be the local lager!!! Thats it I shall never drink it again untill I learn to hold my tongue ERM done that, back to the PUB then Hoooray!!!!!!!!!:victory::victory:

·
Registered
26,859 Posts
Be very careful what you do to upset a seagull. Don't even talk sharply to them. I friend of mine asked if I could find out if seagulls were protected, as one had made a nest on the garage of his parents bungalow and was attacking everyone who went near.

What I found on the web suggested it was OK to see them off in such circumstances.

It was wrong.

My friend destroyed the nest and an egg with it. The next door neighbour (who it's suggested had been feeding them) reported him.

He then told me he had suffered the indignity of being interviewed, under caution, by an RSPCA inspector and threatened with prosecution.

If this is all the RSPCA can do with the donations they receive they will have to wait a long time before receiving another one from me.

Of course: these rules may not apply to foreigners who don't know any better and have to feed a family...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Chris one of the pier attendants was handing out these minimum size sheets a few months ago to try and stop this under size fish taking.

Clearly shows minimum size of Smoothounds

Chomps my a*se seeing the slaughter of undersize fish. Hope the pic helps?

cheers

ian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chris one of the pier attendants was handing out these minimum size sheets a few months ago to try and stop this under size fish taking.

cheers

ian

These sizes, are they for everywhere in the UK or is there different sizes for different waters. If so could someone point me in the right direction for the min sizes for the river crouch.

Many thanks

Damian

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Oh the irony though of the approach at the addy - the bench with "put your undersize bass to be measured here"! Then you see people catching scad the size of a baby pout being caught and stuffed in a box - the look I gave that woman and still she didn't think twice about taking it.

Then the people who catch buckets of pouting the size of goldfish. And the stupid thick idiot who caught a sandeel - didn't know what it was so yanked it off his hook, thrashed it on the top of the pier wall and kept periodically slapping it some more whenever it moved and then just left it there until he went home, after which some child went over and picked it up to play with - totally pointless thuggery. I think even then, the child's parents took it home in their bucket! Totally astonishing - unless they were going to use it for bait...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

cheers

ian
That size chart means nothing where sea fisheries patrol/officers are concerned…they will only be interested in the real/legal ML sizes.

Deal pier attendants can probably eject and/or ban someone for keeping fish below the sizes on that chart but that is about the extent of it.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
456 Posts
That size chart means nothing where sea fisheries patrol/officers are concerned…they will only be interested in the real/legal ML sizes.

Deal pier attendants can probably eject and/or ban someone for keeping fish below the sizes on that chart but that is about the extent of it.

Do you know how upto date the list is on the link, as i was under the impression that the Bass minimum was increased from 36 to 41?

·
Registered
25,236 Posts

cheers

ian
Thats not a "legal" minimum landing size list fella but possibly a nfsa or similar organisations "recomended" size list.someone tried giving me a list like that and they would get some home truths.

·
Registered
25,236 Posts
The current legal minimum for bass is 40cm.
In ireland???????? Biggest on the mainland is 37.5cm unless things have suddenly changed overnight,if so i fear a visit from the fisheries in the immediate future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops::oops::oops:

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
when I was a member of a DAA their minimum size for hounds were 51cm. I caught one in my 1 and only match I fished with them and it was 52cm and I was meant to keep it to be weighed at the end.........I decided to throw it back as it would had been dead at the end of the match. One of the prize winners that day was a certain match angler who wants to bring in sea licenses to help preserve fish stock. Must say the way he emptied his bucket of dead mini dabs whiting and pout was impressive

·
Registered
25,236 Posts
So from that list you can see that seagulls come under unclassified so therefore have a mls of 20cm...
Dont mention seagulls!!!! Felted and battend a roof and the damn seagulls pecked holes in the brand new felt!!!!:nono::nono::nono:

·
Registered
456 Posts

Just to clarify!

ive contacted the people on the above link, just wanted to wrinkle out the confusion, here's their reply?

Thanks for your e-mail.

I have double checked with the Fishery Officers and the National bass minimum size is still 36cm (as shown on our size sheet), however some Angling Clubs run a voluntary minimum size which is over 36cm.

There is no minimum legal size for lesser spotted dogs (dogfish), smooth hounds and bull huss which does mean that you can retain them for your own use.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Joan Taylor
Office Manager
Kent & Essex SFC

So! their list is the same as DEFRA's on their website.

Big Cheers to hot wad :clap: for sending us the right way? so i guess Deal Pier are trying to do right by this list, but its not the legal list?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts