World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying the boat I've fitted an SH 10" plotter as for all that some people slate them I find them easy to use.

What I still haven't sorted is a decent fishfinder; I never did get round to upgrading the one that was fitted to my QS620 from what was fitted when I bought it.

I currently have an old Eagle combo unit fitted but it doesn't work well at all and seems to be picking up all manner of electrical interference.

Ideally I'd like a decent sized unit (a combo would offer a back up plotter) that has good fishfinder features. I'd like to do away with the transom mounted transducers and fit something like an Airmar inside the hull.

As far as fitting the transducer is concerned there is nowhere it can go in the engine bay so it needs to go into the next compartment forward of that. I'm not sure if that will work? It is a good dry compartment with reasonable access to fit the 'ducer.

If I go for a combo it would be handy if the GPS aerial was internal so I don't have to fit another outside.

Budget for the job is around the £1k mark so what would be a good set to fit?

Paul

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Paul
i have no idea of the layout of the osprey but like you on the mrs sea there is no room in the engine bay so the transducer have to move forward- and that means they are in all the disturbed water when planeing so they dont work properly or at all at speed!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really good fishfinder is the priority, it seems that there is more choice of combo units than stand alone fishfinders though? I've never bothered about a back up plotter before so it would have been a "nice to have" if it meant it came in a sensibly priced combo.

TBH although I accept that the SH plotter is dated I use it just as you noted as a plotter hooked up to a radio so it is simple to use and something I've got used to over the years.

My main concern is that by using the lower priced Airmar transducer inside the hull with even a decent finder module the signals won't be great.

I'll see what I can find out about the Koden.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul
i have no idea of the layout of the osprey but like you on the mrs sea there is no room in the engine bay so the transducer have to move forward- and that means they are in all the disturbed water when planeing so they dont work properly or at all at speed!
Hi Greg,

That is what concerned me, I'm not too bothered about bottom detail when on the plane but a rough idea of actual depth is quite handy.

The engine bay front bulkhead on mine is just a bit back from the rear wall of the cabin so not sure how well it would work fitting the transducer at the back of the middle compartment?

Wonder where Rob the Radish has his fitted?

Paul

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
I might be wrong but I was told its not the unit but the transducer you need to spend the money on get the gamin 750s and the 1000kh transducer

Sent from my iPhone using Kennytalk

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
On my osprey, when electician fitted out the same issue arose with the tranducers - where to fit them. (differrent frequencies before someone asks). If you are willing to drill a hole in the transom this may be a possible solution.

Holed drilled in transom well above water line for cable, bracket mounted transducer, so that is just in the water flow to the side of the outdrive. Cable pinned to transom, stainless cover fitted to cover hole, which was then filled with sealant. Cable then run around under gunnels to follow rest of wires to console.

Downsides - have to clean / antifoul cables, brackets etc, extension cable could be needed depending on transducer / sounder chosen. Hole in transom - but not as big as the outdrive.

Upsides - always in the water for a good picture even on plane.

Steve

·
Top Blanker
1,670 Posts
Not seen it Gary, but Raymarine used to do some nice fishfinders, as you know. Have you seen the 750s working with a 1kw transducer ?

Mind you, the 750 is almost entry level and like i said to Paul, the fishfinder side of things will be on par with a £250=£300 fishfinder, most of the money is in the plotter.

I'm also thinking what to fit to the next boat and fishfinders look to be a pain in the ar5e. I'm more than happy with my other Garmin kit and even happy with the cheap 340c fishfinder, but i wanted to fit a second 10" screen and use that for the fishfinder, with radar split or separate radar, depending on conditions. Not seen one with a 1kw transducer though to know if it's worth the grand or so.
Paul I bought the 750s with 1 kw transducer & g2 when they first come out and to tell the truth stood along side the Raymarine & the sh cp500 ,there's not a lot to choose plotter wise .
When you turn to sonar like you said earlier it's poor compared to the Raymarine which is superb !!
Problem for lil Brit is when he's been used to a 10 inch screen going back down to 7.5 won't be the best for his wafty eyesight cos as you know he is older than gods dog !!!!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You cheeky young wipasnappa!!!

Are you coming down for a day fishing Saturday?

Seems that this fish finder question is a bit of a pain, Paul G finding that the stand alone fish finders are not as readily available as combo's these days and that the fish finder in the combo's is not up to much.

Still not sure what to do, nothing new there then!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just had another look at the compartment in front of the engine bay and there is a big tank in there so that pushes even further forward where a shoot through transducer could be fitted.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barstewards ! I got one in the middle of mine, but they left a few gaps here and there. Oh, i forgot, you got one of them sticky out legs on the back, mines in the middle so i got a bit of space to fit mine.

See the grey area top left ? Even got a specially moulded bit on it to counter the hull deadrise, shame the numpty that fitted it didn't use it.
Bit of a delay in getting this photo.......do you think there is room between the engine undertray and the bulkhead to get a transducer in here? Bulkhead is to the bottom of the photo.

Machine Floor Machine tool Wire Vehicle

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi. I have a lowrance hds 5 and a hds 8m in network. The transducer is the standard 50-200 Hz transom unit, but glued to the hull with a bit of tec 7 sealent. This has worked great for me, and i have a perfect picture all the way to WOT at 34 knots. The deepest i´ve seen was just shy of 400 meters with a speed of 8 knots. Still a nice bottom lock at shat dept but not much detail. My transducer location, is mittel of the hull, and about 2 ft from the transom. You should be able to get a hds 8 for a grand or so, and it will network with all the gimmicks that you have room for ;)
Bjørn

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with Sean. I'd stick it down with epoxy, only need as much room at the transducer takes up then (no additional space for tank etc).

Make a dam, just to one side if the keel, deep enough so that when filled with resin the resin flows flat, to take out the deadrise. Once that's more or less dry, stick the transducer to it with a bit more epoxy, Use slow drying epoxy and mix it carefully to avoid air bubbles.
When doing this do you actually resin in the transducer if so if you got it wrong and the resin sets would it not make it impossible to re-use

Could you not just make a well and submerge the transducer in an oil and seal it if you mess it up you could at least move it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts