World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best tactics off there? Is is rough ground, I have heard that conger can be caught off there..true?

Anything will help thanks

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The large outer breakwater is not open to the public, to fish it you will need to fish with a local club. the guy at Anglers Corner in Milford Haven will be able to tell you more. I fished there in the 80s a couple of times.... very deep and snaggy. There are very large conger in the rocks there along with big wrasse. (locals used to fish with broom handle type boat rods, biiiggg hooks and roadkill as bait, drop down between rocks, tug-of-war contest to extricate the beast.)

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
hi you get the bigger fish off the very end of the breakwater but it's a snaggy mark you lose a lead a cast and even though i caught loads of wrasse there i would not want to go back there dec time is best for the big pollack at the very end of the b/water there's better marks arround there less snaggy as well tightlines andy ilsf..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
just checked - clubs are allowed by booking access. call 01348 404477 to check availability and for procedure.

this presented me with a problem. i'm not in a club and don't want to join any of the existing ones. so i had a chat with the harbour master about the rules and regulations side of things, and have decided to form a club with some friends.

problem solved - we can now get access to the breakwater

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
There's a good conger spot on the inside of that breakwater, but I can't remember how far along. Two-thirds of the way maybe? It's where a slipway descends into the harbour, which helps a great deal when landing conger.

Great mark, especially when rough weather prevents access to open beaches and rock marks, but it's years since I have been able to fish it. Used to be very reliable for whiting in October-November, and I used to get the occasional spurdog there too (we are talking mid 1980s here!).....

Cheers - John

·
Registered
594 Posts
i fished it twice last year, had some nice pollock mackeral and missed some cracking bites, going to give it a good go this summer, try for some congers, its rearly akward place to fish though. bit dodgey too

·
Registered
12 Posts
always been tempted to fish down there everytime i've been to west wales, just never had chance. ( usually fished Milfordd haven, strumble head, newgale & abermawr) let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Flatty basher Im a member of Neyland and District SAC and we have a match there this sunday. You should be able to fish as a guest. If you are interested booking in is at 12:30 and fishing is from 13:00 to 18:00. I believe the fee is £5 as we donate £2 per person to the lifeboats. It may be worth your while becoming a member as we have 7 more matches there this year and then you will be guaranteed a place.

If you fancy fishing give me a ring on 07980 458814.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts