World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi guys just wonder as I've never actually targeted spurs before, where to are the likely areas in the channel off the boat would you go after these species? Not asking for secret marks just point in the general direction. Based out of Cardiff I am. Thankyou I advance
There was a time back in the late 80's early 90's they could be caught much nearer home out on the 1 Fathom Bank wide of Sully Island or further out on the Culver Sands. they came up Channel one year as far as the old Cardiff Spit Buoy and Monkstone area but these days you have to travel much further West to catch them in any numbers. Out wide of Aberthaw in the deep trench is one place to start looking. Most people tend to go much further West and in the very deep water on very small neaps unless you limit your fishing to one hour or so either side of LW/HW. If you don't mind travelling, the North Devon side produces them around Foreland Point area. They seem to come and go as a species and one trip finds them but the same area next time the've moved elswhere. See if the local Charter fleet are reporting catching them, that way you might not waste time and fuel looking. Dave Bobbit on Anchorman and Paul Crossman on Benjoma Too seem to pick them up regularly so thats a starting point for info. The weather of late would rule out any attempt to try yet but it has to settle down some time.
Hope this helps, Good luck on your Spurs trip.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a time back in the late 80's early 90's they could be caught much nearer home out on the 1 Fathom Bank wide of Sully Island or further out on the Culver Sands. they came up Channel one year as far as the old Cardiff Spit Buoy and Monkstone area but these days you have to travel much further West to catch them in any numbers. Out wide of Aberthaw in the deep trench is one place to start looking. Most people tend to go much further West and in the very deep water on very small neaps unless you limit your fishing to one hour or so either side of LW/HW. If you don't mind travelling, the North Devon side produces them around Foreland Point area. They seem to come and go as a species and one trip finds them but the same area next time the've moved elswhere. See if the local Charter fleet are reporting catching them, that way you might not waste time and fuel looking. Dave Bobbit on Anchorman and Paul Crossman on Benjoma Too seem to pick them up regularly so thats a starting point for info. The weather of late would rule out any attempt to try yet but it has to settle down some time.
Hope this helps, Good luck on your Spurs trip.
Totally appreciated that info there, thankyou, Anchorman has done something to his shoulder at the moment so theres no reports off him currently, benjoma has been fishing Cardiff recently, however I will keep an eye on the catch reports and have two locations by Stout too try. You say foreland, I really like foreland the views are awesome there and the deep water there is great, caught tope there last year. This weather seriously needs to calm down lol, don't mind the rain but this wind can do one lol

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Totally appreciated that info there, thankyou, Anchorman has done something to his shoulder at the moment so theres no reports off him currently, benjoma has been fishing Cardiff recently, however I will keep an eye on the catch reports and have two locations by Stout too try. You say foreland, I really like foreland the views are awesome there and the deep water there is great, caught tope there last year. This weather seriously needs to calm down lol, don't mind the rain but this wind can do one lol
Out wide of stout in the trenches is a good spot!

Aberthaw and head west, deep water, small tides needed.... this weekend is out, tides and weather no good :(

Weekend after tides perfect for both of above and weather permitting that’s where I will be headed :)

If wind goes southerly then wide of Minehead a good spot too

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out wide of stout in the trenches is a good spot!

Aberthaw and head west, deep water, small tides needed.... this weekend is out, tides and weather no good :(

Weekend after tides perfect for both of above and weather permitting that’s where I will be headed :)

If wind goes southerly then wide of Minehead a good spot too
I got 3 stout marks, one inshore,middle and deep. This weekend is horrendous and the coming week looks just as bad. Hoping next weekend wind dies down. I'll have to tag along if weather is fine @gowerpower
show me the fish lol.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I got 3 stout marks, one inshore,middle and deep. This weekend is horrendous and the coming week looks just as bad. Hoping next weekend wind dies down. I'll have to tag along if weather is fine @gowerpower
show me the fish lol.
More poachers?! I’m going have to paint my boat like a seagull and then you won’t know it’s me :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts