World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been fishing in south Devon 4/5 times now in popular fishing places such as Hopes Nose, Slapton Sands - shore fishing for mackeral - Not caught anything!!

I am using feathers and have been doing what people around me appear to be doing, casting out, letting the weight hit the bottom reeling in while jerking the rod on reeling in. Would anyone have any advice??

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
37 Posts
in my area they're thin on the ground at the moment, but your a fair bit away.

is it just feathers your using? try some hokkis, or something with some silver tinsel. if the water isn't very clear then sometimes plain feathers wont do the trick.

when retrieving, pull the rod to the side, then pick up the slack by winding in, keep doing this. also dont always let the led hit the bottom, try different depths; often mackeral feed near the surface.

tight lines

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was out mackereling the other day, and had no luck whatsoever for about an hour or two. I tried slowing things down a bit (i.e. shorter slow tugs to the side, then reeling in the slack), and within three casts, had 7 mackerel! Unfortunately, there wasn't much else after this, so I'm not sure if that was more coinsedence than die to my change of tactics.

This was from a harbour wall. Mackerel tend to stick to the edges of walls and piers, so maybe changing location on the beach nearer to something like that?

As has been said, try a different lure. I've had good success in the past with the ones with little plasticy fish heads on them. Some will even glow in the dark to help them stand out. Something similar to this

Hope that helps.

G

·
Try using hokkai's or sabiki's with N° 8 or N°7 hooks, with a Dexter wedge for weight. Often, the mackies seem to be put off by the bigger, traditional feather rigs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts