World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning this May (Sat 14th. to Thursday 19th.) for another week's fishing, staying in a house right on the beach itself. Last year I blanked, miserably, so would be grateful for ANY advice! Is there any way of getting to the Ness without taking the ferry from Orford? Do I need to go there anyway to catch something? Is the rumour correct that Cod etc. are being caught from the river? If so where??

·
Registered
325 Posts
Swelleyman,

Can't answer your question but thought someone should give you the courtesy of a reply. I notice that Braintree SAC have held a match at Orford, perhaps a PM or e-mail to one of their members might produce the info you want.

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Fred bach, i'll give it a try nearer the time. We take the mother-in-law away and take a cottage right on the beach. No hassle - I hand over the car keys - "If it's low tide I'm on the beach, if it's high tide, I'm playing golf!" Last year I blanked the whole week (not this year though - I've learnt from the site!) but my missus treated me on the last tide to a great fish supper on the beach, complete with table, serviettes (ooh!) and a botttle of wine! Don't think she was taking the p**! Got the car stuck in the gravel at the Aldeburgh end of the Ness and blanked in the river at Orford. BUT ... such a great place to fish!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Swelleyman,

I know that bit of country, but have not fished there. It's only just over an hour from me so it might be a good place, not meant to be a pun, to try out my new rod (please refer to PM).

A man who takes his mother-in-law on holiday is a man who deserves an award, but I reckon there's an ulterior motive (somebody has got to do the gutting and filleting).

Have a good time.

Fred

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aldeburgh can produce a few decent sized bass and flatfish but to be honest the summer fishings not as good as it use to be. As for best places to fish, these would be my personal recommendations,
1. Where the sluice/sewer pipe comes out just before you enter thorpness from the Aldebugh direction. You can park on the side of the road and walk over. Possible fish - eels, bass, codling!
2. Just to the north of the fishing boats on the town beach. Possible flat fish
3. In front of the last hotel (Brundle?) on the south side of the town, fish close in. Possible fish flat fish and bass
4. Just north (Aldeburgh) side of Martello tower on the dirty wall, close in and at range. Possible bass, flatfish, dogfish and smoothounds.

There's now getting quite a lot of dogfish about, so if your after them fish at medium to long range and tip off your bait with fish strips for best results.

Obvisously, the best times are early morning or evening with the best baits being rag, fish baits and don't forget fish bites or whatever there called (artifical baits). If you want to try for a smoothound you'll really need crab.

Don't know much about the river but the general opinion is to take the road just past the fish shop and head in land a bit and theres a carpark and acess to the river. Possible bass, flounder, eels and thornback!
Most people fish the above in the river and not opposite the dirty wall.

Email our Club if you want any further information, etc.

Good luck

Simon, Braintree S.A.C.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information, it is well received, copied and pasted!! As I'm experimenting with fish attractants Doggies seem to be my 'most caught species'. I was hoping you'd mention Mullet in the river but all the other species will be more than welcome! I'm just hoping that this year will be more productive!

Cheers again!

Just re-read and understand where you mean re: opposite the dirty wall! So the river is best fished that far up and not at Orford! Great info. and not as far to drive, in fact those marks are walkable from where I am staying - Rays eh!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The river can fish well all the way along and further inland than most fish it. Orford and Aldeburgh both fish well, if you pick the right spot.
I mentioned about Aldeburgh as it's closest to where your staying, if you want to take a short dive there's plenty of possible sites both near Orford or up towards Walberswick, which fishes well on the both the beach and in the river.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Simon, your help is much appreciated! I intend to try the river at both Orford and Aldeburgh. I usually stay at Lowestoft but have fished at Southwold across the harbour from Walberswick, or is there another one 'up-river' from Orford?. This holiday will be based at Aldeburgh however as I can get to other venues from Lowestoft.

Looked at the club site - what a lot going on - a credit to some very hard work i'd say!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spotted your response NorthBeacher! When I picked up my bait for Aldeburgh (at tackle Xchange - where else!) They told me that Lowestoft was really fishing well with Bass being caught at various points. It struck me then that the Gods of Fishing were having a laugh as I was not due to fish there this time. I caught lots at Aldeburgh but they were the same little Pouts and Whiting that I did on the North Beach, perhaps they follow me about! Still there will always be next time (there's a family wedding in July sometime!) See you then perhaps?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts