World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Hold on, it says fishing not angling. The majority of it will relate to nets etc. Doesn't mean to say anglers are not guilty of some of it, but definetely not all of it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
WHy the hell can't people take their rubbish away when they leave. I was on the beach yesterday and there were beers cans, coke bottle etc etc - and this stuff did not wash up on the tide as it was above the tide line.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hold on, it says fishing not angling. The majority of it will relate to nets etc. Doesn't mean to say anglers are not guilty of some of it, but definetely not all of it.

At Orford Island which is only visited by Anglers, the litter is 100% their fault. I filled a dustbin liner with other peoples rubbish the other day in an area of 10ft around my beach buddy.

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
At Orford Island which is only visited by Anglers, the litter is 100% their fault. I filled a dustbin liner with other peoples rubbish the other day in an area of 10ft around my beach buddy.
As I said, anglers are not 100% pure on this, but I was commenting on the original post that seemed to indicate it was all our faults.

Most of the marks that I've fished, in various parts of the country, I've come across little or no litter so I speak as I find. Line, packaging etc are clearly angling related and those responsible for this need educating as there is no need for this. As for the cans and bottles, anglers are not the only people who frequent beaches so can't be held fully responsible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
this is something that really winds me up as we all enjoy the beautiful coastline we have in this country and i hate to see it strewn with litter, of which in many of the places i fish is angling related. I always take a black bag for my rubbish and have taken to clearing up any rubbish i see whilst fishing and think if we could all do that (as annoying as it is) it is something we can do to help alleviate the problem. Fishing is under pressure from many angles nowadays and the litter left by some mindless idiots really does not help.... Slightly off topic but i was recently fishing in a local spot in south wales and was appalled by the dead fish (doggies) left lying on the pebbles. Some of the people who go fishing really are an embarassment to the majority.......

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
i do beach cleans and sadly there are some anglers rubbish like baite bags,line,hooks,but there also rubbish from potters like rope and string but biggest offends are people going beach for day leaving there rubish behind,coke bottles,crisp packs,i seen then try to rubish into a bin which full to top:uhuh: the best way is take home not use the bin beacause the gulls and others get into them.shaggy

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
what gets me is where i fish there are bin liners tied to the rail with the rubbish in, why is it so much trouble to carry the bag back with you after all whoever left it went to all the trouble of filling it it dont make any sense.

most of the litter washed up on the beach is from nets and commercial fishers ie:nets, oil drums and stuff

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah, saw that story as well. But it says in the breakdown at the end of the article that something like 3% of the rubbish is fishing nets, plus there was another stat about rope. I don't think many bona fide anglers use either (I think/hope boat anglers would take a bit of care with rope anyway).

I can understand why members here get ticked off about the load of true angling debris (bait packets, discarded mono, etc). but these are at specific recognised angling locations, whereas the BBC report was a survey over the whole of the British Isles' coasts by volunteers I think.

But, I fully agree, that anglers need to respect the environment and take their (and if necessary, other's) rubbish off the beach or rock mark when they leave. I find it rather depressing coming to a fishing mark (fresh or salt) to be greeted by a display of discarded bait tins/wrappers, etc. Pure laziness and lack of education.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I just noticed this too, it is soemthing that is getting worse and will only continue to do so.

I enjoy beach combing and even on beaches where very few people go there are immense amounts of rubbish. There is the usual buckets, nets, rope and bouys. But the majority of it are plastic bottles (I think because they are bouyant and get blown onto the shore), bags and other weird waste, including a mint conditions stainless steal fladen baiting knife and a dead dolphin :blink:.

It has now reached the point where you can go to the most remote beach in Britain and it will be full at the high tide line. It is not one group but society as a whole, stuff discarded off of boats miles out at sea etc.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Plastic bottles take approximately 450 years to break down. If Henry VIII had had plastic bottles at his last wedding they would still be on the beaches today. The last people in the UK to see beaches free from plastic were people visiting them just after the war!!!!!

Education, education. I would like to see on the spot fines introduced that really hit hard.....sya £250 a pop.

That would certainly make people think more about the impacts of littering....albeit to their own pockets.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Education, education. I would like to see on the spot fines introduced that really hit hard.....sya £250 a pop.

That would certainly make people think more about the impacts of littering....albeit to their own pockets.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea, but how would it be policed ?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Fished Moelre on Angelsey a week ago, a truly picturesque mark which was piled full of ex larger cans, bait wrappers and miles of mono. Made me hang my head in dis pare, I carted a couple of bag fulls to the waste bin, but it was heaped up 4ft at the side of that !

On the spot fines at certain marks would work a treat, I am sure if they can catch unscrupulous dog owners who let them dump randomly they can issue litter louts with tickets.

If you see rubbish thats not yours and leave it, you are arming the 'ban angling' brigade with a just reason. The summer invariably brings the annual angler out and about with 12 cans of lager and SPar bag of fodder, it doesnt mean we have to stoop to their levels !

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
its not going to take long before a fee is forced upon us to pay for the collection and disposal of our rubbish....re sea fishing license, worse than that though will be when local government bans sea fishing because of injury liability, eg hooks and line on a beach.its all going to end in tears unless we self govern this quickly.
we could do with local wardens checking it out, they could also check for undersize fish, and check license holders to, dont like it but its the only way its going to end.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have helped clean a beach that only sees local visitors. There isn't much doubt that all of the rubbish there was washed ashore from boats - fishing and others. The beach is within Milford Haven but is more or less open to the sea. It's utterly amazing how much rubbish collects there. Further inland there is another beach with one very small holiday camp and again only really visited by local people. It seems to stay relatively clean. Elsewhere things aren't to good at times, lots of visitors many of who obviously do take there rubbish home but one thing is very noticeable. There aren't any rubbish bins even at a cafe and sailing centre. Barbecue parties sometimes leave a lot too.
I don't see much rubbish where people fish but some do leave plastic bags and beer cans etc from time to time. One thing is clear anglers should take that sort of thing home. I personally will throw unused bait and used hooks into deep water but otherwise take that home too.
People have also come across used syringes too but that's another problem.

John

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Fished Moelre on Angelsey a week ago, a truly picturesque mark which was piled full of ex larger cans, bait wrappers and miles of mono. Made me hang my head in dis pare, I carted a couple of bag fulls to the waste bin, but it was heaped up 4ft at the side of that !

On the spot fines at certain marks would work a treat, I am sure if they can catch unscrupulous dog owners who let them dump randomly they can issue litter louts with tickets.

If you see rubbish thats not yours and leave it, you are arming the 'ban angling' brigade with a just reason. The summer invariably brings the annual angler out and about with 12 cans of lager and SPar bag of fodder, it doesnt mean we have to stoop to their levels !
When I fished it a while back I filled my tardiss of a cool bag to the brim with mono, bait wrappers and general fishing stuff to take home. It is a disgrace down there.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Anglers get a lot of stick for leaving litter and rightly so, but.... if the council did not clean streets, parks and other public spaces every day how filthy would they be ? Venues like race meetings, sports venues, pop concerts and general bathing beaches are stewn with litter but are carefully cleaned every day and after each event. If councils cleaned beaches like they do other places they would of course be cleaner. I don't think anglers are any worse than any others at leaving litter.... it is just more obvious as it is not often cleaned up.
If you look at plastic bottles on some beaches you will find them labelled in various foreign languages, they are washed up from goodness knows where being blown by prevailing winds and carried by currents.

Hands up anyone who thinks the police would get their lazy arses out of their car seats to walk along a beach to fine someone.

A useful way of determining if there is a fast food outlet nearby when driving is to look for the wrappings at the roadside.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts