World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Later this year in August I am going to Sagres, in Portugal. I was wondering what the lure fishing was like there, but also bait if lure is not that prominent, and what kind of species one could catch. Furthermore, I would like to know what kind of lures and which specific lures work and if the beach fishing is any good.
Thanks very much,
Caranx

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,634 Posts
Obviously were not jealous in any way :)

You could also try asking this question in one of the two 'international' forums we have.

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
I like that Video Cap"n Spike... Brings back memories....
I was there a few years ago, and joined the local anglers at the "End of the World " fishing from the cliffs, I was using Braid, and they were suprised when I just winched the fish up the cliffs...they were using Mono, and needed the wire baskets to lift the fish up... they are masters at using the wire basket "dropnets" .
The fishing there was not all from cliffs, I managed to find a few places where I could cast from rocks just above water level. I do remember though, the rocks appeared to be volcanic, and were as sharp as razorblades.
I waa baitfishing, using Prawns as bait, never saw anybody lure fishing.

Dave

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
You'll need plenty of line on your reel and a good head for heights as much of the fishing is from the top of tall cliffs

Those portuge are all nutters
Dammed if I'd fish that high up
Would
S
H
I
T
Myself All that for a bloody bream
Behave

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
Here are a couple more stills of the Portuguese Rock lizards, the lad in the second picture was fishing just on from me , I managed to get there before him and snaffled a place with vertical rock for a straight lift ,as opposed to a slight slope, he nearly fell a couple of times climbing down onto his "Perch", didnt seem to bother him though.

Dave

·
13,191 Posts
Here are a couple more stills of the Portuguese Rock lizards, the lad in the second picture was fishing just on from me , I managed to get there before him and snaffled a place with vertical rock for a straight lift ,as opposed to a slight slope, he nearly fell a couple of times climbing down onto his "Perch", didnt seem to bother him though.
View attachment 318713

View attachment 318714

Dave
Thanks Dave
I'm just in awe that they don't fall
I wonder how many
Spins they can do before they hit the water lols

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
They are not a long way off what we do up here off the Bempton and Flamborough cliffs, although we dont usually stand with our toes hanging over the edge !
I am sure some of our cliff anglers up here would be quite at home fishing the Portuguese cliffs, it was no problem for me, and I have not really done any cliff fishing for a few years now. Yorkshire anglers use far heavier gear than the Portuguese guys, and haul bigger fish up without any dropnet, just relying on rod and reel .
I will say though that it is much more pleasant fishing in the sun just wearing jeans and a t shirt, as opposed to being muffled up in full cold weather gear and fishing in the pitch black night with wind whistling around your ears.

I have "borrowed "this from the Whitby site, it shows the type of ground they fish in winter, to give you some idea. I have not fished there myself for a few years now, the 2 hr drive tends to put me off a bit these days.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/f...-unoffical-trip-to-bempton-cod-to-6lbs.32061/

Dave

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Fvck that sh1t. Makes me feel giddy just watching the video.
I agree. Totally not for me.
We have cliffs like that up here, Bempton. Good for early season cod, and when seas are flat and you have to fish 'tide' spots.
First went up there aged about 17/18, and cast off with an Abu 9000 filled with 40lb mono. Was nearly down to spool when sinker hit water.
Last time.
And, if you catch anything, you break your back bringing it up. Anything over about 6lb's is nigh on impossible.

Scary stories too, though not heard of a death.
18 months ago, Gary Pye was up there (he off the Century videos) and caught an OK cod, and nearly got dragged over when it got hit and taken by a shark. Reeled in the head.
Another lad slipped at the top and slid down the small banking 45*, ended up with his knees hanging over the 300' foot drop.

Zoom in for a sense of scale. Scary.

Attachments

·
13,191 Posts
I agree. Totally not for me.
We have cliffs like that up here, Bempton. Good for early season cod, and when seas are flat and you have to fish 'tide' spots.
First went up there aged about 17/18, and cast off with an Abu 9000 filled with 40lb mono. Was nearly down to spool when sinker hit water.
Last time.
And, if you catch anything, you break your back bringing it up. Anything over about 6lb's is nigh on impossible.

Scary stories too, though not heard of a death.
18 months ago, Gary Pye was up there (he off the Century videos) and caught an OK cod, and nearly got dragged over when it got hit and taken by a shark. Reeled in the head.
Another lad slipped at the top and slid down the small banking 45*, ended up with his knees hanging over the 300' foot drop.

Zoom in for a sense of scale. Scary.
Crap that
I don't mine heights if I feel safe
No way your going to get me up there
Sod the cod

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Just goes to show there's nutters everywhere lol, not for me I get a nose bleed standing on a tall kerb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.