World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Borth for 2 weeks with the wife and kids on 13th August, I have never done any serious shore fishing but have bought myself a fairly decent beach rod and reel and fancy doing some while I am there, I have been looking at spinning and lure fishing and would be grateful for any tips, local knowledge etc.
Also fancy a bit of boat fishing if I get chance.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
You've picked a good time to go if the weather holds. The fishing at Borth tends to pick up in the second half of August after the Midsummer doldrums.

The beach is good but you need a bit of surf running. Night tides will be the way to go if the weather's sunny as the sea will be full of tourists by day. Fish over LW ideally but both the flood & ebb also produce. Use fish baits - sandeels & mackerel strips will catch a range of species and especially small-eyed rays if they're about, which can give good sport on light beachcasters. Other species to expect are dogfish and flounders, schoolies, possible better bass and the chance of a turbot if you're lucky.

The rocky reef S of Borth can be fished over LW at several points and offers bass possibilities spinning, mackerel on feathers and a variety of species including weevers - beware! - on baited feathers or other bottom rigs. This area is good in daylight when the beach is busy. At night it's alive with dogfish but I have taken the odd conger in the past.

I just hope the floating weed has cleared by then. It's been worse this summer than for years!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that, what sort of lures /spinners are best in the area, I'm looking to buy some online before I go, and is there any decent tackle shops near Borth?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
There's 2 tackle shops in Aberystwyth plus a gift shop in Borth that sells odds & ends.

A lot of the locals use plugs and dexter wedges for bass but I've caught on silver Toby lures as well.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
472 Posts
Watch the tides around the estuaries to the North.
A friend and I went there once, when we returned to the car it was half underwater.
There is a guy with a Land rover making a fair bit from dragging people out from the flats.

Luckily it wasn’t my car :)

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Fished the main beach tonight with a complete novice. Not the best tide - a neap over HW - and pissing down - but a good surf. Caught nowt myself as expected - was using big rag/mack/sandeel baits to see if the rays and a possible big bass might show. They didn't!! Still a bit early.

My friend caught her first ever fish - a little 1/2 lb schoolie on ragworm. She was pleased as punch! That made the evening for me! Her first few casts had me ducking for cover but she got the hang of it pretty quickly.

Next time it'll be LW on a big late August tide which ought to produce, now she's got the bug! Weed not as bad now as it was, thank ****! Wait till a 8lb small-eyed takes off with the bait - I wanna see that!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello John, keep me posted on the fishing there, thanks for your replies, can't wait to get fishing.
Cheers Mick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts