World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing Budleigh salterton tonight, actually we are fishing from around 6pm through till around 8 or 9 am tomorrow, I am not really targeting anything in particular, I am simply fishing for what ever decides to take my bait... I have ragworm, Mackeral, squid, whiting, & sand eel and black lug for bait. I have never fished Budleigh before, I have watched many you tube clips to get a sort of an idea what might be around, But in all honesty from a lifetime of fishing trips I have learnt that fish catches vary constantly, But from what I have seen the chances are good for a variety of decent species, Maybe a Smooth hound if I am lucky and a few quality flatfish would make me happy so I shall keep my fingers crossed. I have not been fishing for quite some time due to loosing my leg, Its taken me some time to learn to walk again due to complications, But gladly I think they are mostly over now and its time to wet my rods once again, This is the first real Fishing trip for me on a very uneven and steep pebbly beach, So I am thinking will this will be a challenge for my balance rather than any fishing, However I took a short trip to Budliegh with my wife a few days ago (its local to me in Exeter) Just to check it out and see if its possible, so tonight's the night, I am going with my Son and his buddy... if anybody's local and fancies a fishing meet up, I will be on the beach opposite the big carpark right at the left end of the beach.. you cant miss me, just look for the One legged Hoppyblobby. I shall let you know how it goes when I get back and wake up... see ya soon, ta ta for now...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Good luck mate, hope you do well, never fished Budleigh before so be very interested in your fish filled report tomorrow:BigGrin::BigGrin:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Best of luck Buddy, facing new challenges can be daunting but we're a very adaptable species so you'll work out the best way to overcome any issues. On the plus side I think any fish you may catch will bring a great sense of joy and achievement after being away from the beaches for so long. Even without any fish you'll have faced a new challenge in your recovery and you'll be where you want to be and in good company.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Fishing Budleigh salterton tonight, actually we are fishing from around 6pm through till around 8 or 9 am tomorrow, I am not really targeting anything in particular, I am simply fishing for what ever decides to take my bait... I have ragworm, Mackeral, squid, whiting, & sand eel and black lug for bait. I have never fished Budleigh before, I have watched many you tube clips to get a sort of an idea what might be around, But in all honesty from a lifetime of fishing trips I have learnt that fish catches vary constantly, But from what I have seen the chances are good for a variety of decent species, Maybe a Smooth hound if I am lucky and a few quality flatfish would make me happy so I shall keep my fingers crossed. I have not been fishing for quite some time due to loosing my leg, Its taken me some time to learn to walk again due to complications, But gladly I think they are mostly over now and its time to wet my rods once again, This is the first real Fishing trip for me on a very uneven and steep pebbly beach, So I am thinking will this will be a challenge for my balance rather than any fishing, However I took a short trip to Budliegh with my wife a few days ago (its local to me in Exeter) Just to check it out and see if its possible, so tonight's the night, I am going with my Son and his buddy... if anybody's local and fancies a fishing meet up, I will be on the beach opposite the big carpark right at the left end of the beach.. you cant miss me, just look for the One legged Hoppyblobby. I shall let you know how it goes when I get back and wake up... see ya soon, ta ta for now...
Great to hear you are getting back out there, and glad to hear you are not fishing alone, just in case you go Arse over Nipples! Stay safe, good luck & tight lines!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

Good luck, I have been twice recently, crabs were not even taking the bait! Lots of weed. usually dog fish and pouting, I have caught bass at low tide on the rocks in front of where you are fishing. I havnt heard of any but maybe take some lures for a stray mackerel? Let me know how you get on

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck, I have been twice recently, crabs were not even taking the bait! Lots of weed. usually dog fish and pouting, I have caught bass at low tide on the rocks in front of where you are fishing. I havnt heard of any but maybe take some lures for a stray mackerel? Let me know how you get on

Thanks for your message buddy, Its always handy to hear any fishing report, and that's no matter even if the fishing is not that great.. I was there just a few days ago with my Wife and standing beside a guy fishing during the day in good weather, I was only beside him for about 20 minutes as I had other things to do, But he did bang out a couple of reasonable flatties on black lug whilst we were there, maybe he was lucky I really don't know, he casted no further than 60/70 yards and seemed to be familiar with the beach, I never really asked to many questions other than how long he had been fishing that day, his reply suggested he did not speak English So i left it at that, Either way I am optimistic and cant wait to be honest, The weather tonight is supposed to be good with a light wind & virtually no chance of rain.. (I cant ask for better) High tied is around 05.00 am I think, or there abouts, I will have a good chance to thoroughly fish the outgoing and right up the incoming too, and then a couple of out going during morning daylight.. I would have much rather high tide had been during complete darkness But hey I will be happy just to get my lines wet again.. no matter what fish of sorts takes my bait I shall be happy, if nothing happens then I shall still really enjoy the sound of waves crashing, and the sizzle of crispy bacon & egg frying away for a midnight munch and the kettle whistling for a nice fresh coffee.. will let ya know how it goes a soon as I can, most likely after a good kip when I get back, thanks again, ta ta for now..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great to hear you are getting back out there, and glad to hear you are not fishing alone, just in case you go Arse over Nipples! Stay safe, good luck & tight lines!
yeah I just cant wait, just made the last of a few extra traces, and about to load my car, Oh yeah i am fully expecting to fall on my arse during the night, It will not be the first time and wont be the last, My son is my personal heavy duty crane and will pick me if I bite the dust... lol.. just as long as its not in the water, I really don't want to get a soaking at 2 am hahaha... thanks again, be lucky & ta ta for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best of luck Buddy, facing new challenges can be daunting but we're a very adaptable species so you'll work out the best way to overcome any issues. On the plus side I think any fish you may catch will bring a great sense of joy and achievement after being away from the beaches for so long. Even without any fish you'll have faced a new challenge in your recovery and you'll be where you want to be and in good company.
Thanks Buddy, I appreciate your words of encouragement, Life really has been a extreme challenge over the last five years & not just with my leg But many other serious issues, But yeah I have battled with them all and my fishing really has been a goal I have used to get past many of there battles, Tonight is a bit of fun for me really, Any fish will be a bonus, But all the same i am hopeful of something to make me smile... just as long as i remain upright after each cast hahah.. that really is a bugger especially on a bumpy uneven beach.. but yes certainly a good test, I have already fished a few flat surfaced places, Babbacombe, Brixham ect, But to be honest I need a bigger challenge and maybe tonight will bring a smile and a laugh... thanks again, be well, ta ta for now..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck mate, hope you do well, never fished Budleigh before so be very interested in your fish filled report tomorrow:BigGrin::BigGrin:
I shall certainly post any catch on here, No problems mate, But lets hope for anything tasty, I love cooking fresh fish.. This is also my first fishing Trip to Budleigh, However It looks to have the making of a good trip, But who knows, no problems either way... for me its all about enjoying being out the house and standing up again... thanks buddy,,, ta ta for now.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I don’t fish budliegh but it’s similar to seaton from wot I gather so fish hard for the mackerel and use long strips same size as a sandeel on a 2/0 hook 4 ft trace over low for the small eye mate and don’t be worried about trying for plaice at night either they might come on the feed over low or maybe even a sole good luck pal

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I don’t fish budliegh but it’s similar to seaton from wot I gather so fish hard for the mackerel and use long strips same size as a sandeel on a 2/0 hook 4 ft trace over low for the small eye mate and don’t be worried about trying for plaice at night either they might come on the feed over low or maybe even a sole good luck pal

Its like Seaton without the fish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How did you get on mate?
hello bud, sorry for the lateness in my replies & to all whom are following this thread.... OMG what a **** trip, right from the very start, if something was going to go wrong it blooming well did, ahh I was totally gutted, I did not even get as far as baiting up, I blame myself totally because I did not listen to my own intuition telling me to not to go that night.. we got there sometime just after 6pm as planned, Immediately after tackling up everything seemed to turn to crap from that point, and a serious combination of poor location, bad location, dodgy location, & iffy location, & then my cooker failing to work for hot drinks, then My son got the worst kind of belly problems just at the wrong time & that left me with no choice but to pack up and go home before I had even got any bait of my rod. I was absolutely solemnly gutted. But Its not the first time (pardon the pun) that **** had happened & I am sure it wont be the last,,, we all have bad trips from time to time so I will settle for putting that one behind me and look forward to another trip on this coming Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, Thinking about Teignmouth beach, It can fish well on a good day,, and I have just about every bait possible, But i am open to suggestions, I cant really fish anywhere that has a beach with pebbles like Budleigh, They were just so awkward to walk about on that it was almost impossible, I should have known better, maybe when my balance has got better, but certainly not yet. I can fish anywhere with hard standing or a sandy beach like Teignmouth would be ok. I normally fish Babbacombe or Brixham or Torquay, I would love to fish Hopes Nose or Berry Head But I know there is a long walk to get down to the fishing area, I understand it is possible to Drive a car down there but only for the disabled, I qualify for that But the charge is really heavy, the last time I asked it was about £40 for a pass key. so if anybody has any idea or knows of anywhere different do please let me know... anyways thanks again for your interest in how i got on... if i was to be straight up about that place I would say it should be a good fishing zone for those that can get about ok, once again thanks bud.. be lucky

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Buddy, thanks again for your message, I had a terrible trip mate, Nothing to do with a bad catch though as we did not get that far, we actually went home about 1 hour after getting there due to a multitude of bad problems, But to be honest if your able-bodied then I cant see any reason why this beach should not fish well, It has all the makings of a good stretch, I have heard of good catches on good days & slow catches on bad days, I have witnessed some flatties being caught in quick succession, The beach is fairly steep and the sea looks to drop off quite steep in places which should be good, If you do go make sure you have your tide times and make sure that your particular stretch is suitable, I cant give any bait tips as i did not even bait up and cast... I am going fishing again Tuesday late afternoon into Wednesday morning. I think Probably Teignmouth beach this time, "Maybe", best of luck buddy, tight lines.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Hello Buddy, thanks again for your message, I had a terrible trip mate, Nothing to do with a bad catch though as we did not get that far, we actually went home about 1 hour after getting there due to a multitude of bad problems, But to be honest if your able-bodied then I cant see any reason why this beach should not fish well, It has all the makings of a good stretch, I have heard of good catches on good days & slow catches on bad days, I have witnessed some flatties being caught in quick succession, The beach is fairly steep and the sea looks to drop off quite steep in places which should be good, If you do go make sure you have your tide times and make sure that your particular stretch is suitable, I cant give any bait tips as i did not even bait up and cast... I am going fishing again Tuesday late afternoon into Wednesday morning. I think Probably Teignmouth beach this time, "Maybe", best of luck buddy, tight lines.
Hi bud come up and fish seaton you park up and your in the mark in a minute plenty of macs dogs straps to catch along with more desirable fish probably the easiest shingle mark in the south west bud

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haway then @hoppyblobby , how did it go? I predict weed and 1 dogfish
I wish I had have got even just one doggy mate... it turned out a bad trip all round and sent us home after just an hour,, Not going to let it get to me, I am going again on Tuesday afternoon and fishing into Wednesday Morning, Teignmouth should be the venue, weather looks to be great and I know I can get about on it ok as i have fished it before.. who knows what's on offer But fingers crossed again for a much better trip. cheers mate, ta ta for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi bud come up and fish seaton you park up and your in the mark in a minute plenty of macs dogs straps to catch along with more desirable fish probably the easiest shingle mark in the south west bud
I would definitely be up for that buddy.. Is Seaton the beesands venue, To be honest I have lived in Devon for about 9 years now and although I have fished regular when ever I could have. But having been hospitalised so many times over the last 5 years or so, And that's kind of kept myself fishing local, I moved to Exeter from Tiverton last September after loosing my leg a couple of years ago, its only recently that I have now started walking again, I am so desperate to find a decent stretch that is possible to fish safely and can offer the chance of a decent catch from time to time. My local piers and some beaches are fine, But getting sort of boring now having fished them so often, so a new venue would be great.. thanks mate, that's got me buzzing, Maybe I could go there instead of Tiegnmouth on Tuesday... cheers mate, Hoppyblobby

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Seatons near branscome mate it’s 20 mins from Exeter just head up towards exmouth road then follow the signs you Literally park behind the beach free arfter 6 like I said plenty of macs but orso chance of gurnard gar scad bass hounds been some nice se off there recently I had a lb 8.4Oz pb few weeks ago orso loads of straps and dogs to keep you busy at night it will be busy now with the arrival of the macs but you should find a space drive along the seafront until you come to a little cafe on the beach there’s an entrance there any where along there is fine bud Tuesday high tide is at 9 ish I’d get there for around 6 and fish till 11 if I were you bud good luck mate ps strips of fresh Mac will out fish most baits this time of year but if your gonna get some fresh worm rag takes some beating imo

1 - 20 of 51 Posts