World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I have been reading a bit of angling press and have seen some reports that suggest fishing estuarys etc at low water/tide, is that done or have they made a mistake? Only that I thought you were best fishing at high tide......

Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
no they havnt made a mistake you can fish at either low or high tide depending on your area sometimes different states of tides fish better than other ones

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I do alot of estuary fishing and the way to look at it is, if you can reach the main channel at low tide it is well worth a look ( I've caught 2lb flounder/plaice in6" of water) but conditons have got to be right otherwise it's hopeless, but for bass and other species a if you can find a side channel filling up as the tide rises this will no doubt hiold bass and the flatties are guarranteed to pass through.
If you are fishing surf beaches I have found that fishing the shallow low tide can produce alot of flatties alot more than high tide, but this is not always true. Generally though, low tides send the fish out to deeper channels and an incoming tide will bring the fish in with it.
Thats the best way I can think of putting it, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will put me right!!!
Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi,
I have been fishing the mouth of an estuary recently and have been getting some good fun with pollack for about an hour after low tide.
Jon

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Jeffb

Have just started to fish the low water in the Bristol Channel. With some success, brother had 8lb conger i had 1 1/2lb dogfish and dabhanddaz (yes him) blanked. 2 weeks later my mate has 3 dogfish. Like the other replies have said it vary from one spot to another

Woodster

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chaps,

That's very reasuring to know this about low tide fishing as I'm only in Wales for 10 days and can now get twice as much fishing done! (yhea right, like I'll get that idea the thumbs up from the missus... :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nce Bassy!!!

I'm going to have a holiday next year on the north Cornwall coast, somewhere just outside Padstow I reckon... I saw the locals catching Bass there last year on artificial worms...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You're better off using Lug if you can get/dig some Jeff, they have been going wild for the stuff down my end. Hardly touching anything else. Should be loads on the beaches around Padstow when you get there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Low tide rules on the Cornish surf beaches, the sandeels bury on the low tide line so when the surf starts to dig them out....cue bass frenzy! Live sandeel has been doing the business for me, quite hard to get hold of at the moment though not many places seem to have it in. Good luck in the Kernow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers the Gow,

I have been meaning to ask how on earth I can source live sand eels, do you catch or buy them...???

Also with this in mind, might it be worth using immitations? I hate buying expensive bait if I can avoid it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts