World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, (29/11/19) went fishing to Immingham, high tide was at 7.30pm . I left my house at 2pm stopped for petrol and arrived, with such excitment of getting a bay to get some good fishing in. As I was driving on the main road paralle to the river wall, bending my kneck to see all the empty bays, for me to pick one to fish from . All the bays I could see looked full, I must be seeing things it was 3.15pm, four and a quarter hours before high tide! I drove the bumpy track optimistic of a good bay, drove along the wall from bay 23 to 28, all full! I asked the chap in bay 28 what time do you need to get down here to get a bay. This chap got there at 2.15pm and said everybody was already there when he turned up. Could not believe it as you can only fish 2 hours ever way depending on what bay you get , must be because we are in the months with the word cod in it. Only bays free were 22 and 21 I picked 21, I had fished it before but on a higher tide. Today was a 7.2 metre tide and I waited and waited. At 7pm the water was kissing the bottom of the bay wall, I had one cast out and packed up, as by this time I could not be arsed to climb over the wall to release any snags. The river bed was always showing even 15 minutes before high tide. Bay 21 not good for any tide below 7.2m in my opinion. Still, I enjoyed being out and I lost no tackle , next time, if Immingham wall is full then I will go to Cleathorpes and fish the beach. Just need to find out were to go. Also, at low tide will go down to the yellow cross and see what's there because last time I fished there, it was very snaggy and lost all my gear and look at the woods to give myself some more options.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry you had a bad session, the stallingborough wall is always busy at this time of year. The yellow cross is quite snaggy upstream of the cross, better downstream. On a tide of 7m it's better to go downstream of the pumphouse as you get to the wall, less than 7m go upstream towards the woods. Also, if you go upstream on a less than 6m if you cant get a bay then park on the verge, go over the wall and fish on the flats. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that i will use your advice and check the area out at low tide up river and carry on fishing getting there early cheers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
have you thought about Trying East Halton . not usually as Busy as Stallingborough and sometimes Better Fishing and in most bays No Snags . I fished there Last 2 Sundays as Stally was Full but plenty of room / Bays left there . google East Halton Skitter and have a Look . you can fish most places 3 up 3 down but on bigger tides there is a Stronger Run as the River is a Bit Narrower

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you thought about Trying East Halton . not usually as Busy as Stallingborough and sometimes Better Fishing and in most bays No Snags . I fished there Last 2 Sundays as Stally was Full but plenty of room / Bays left there . google East Halton Skitter and have a Look . you can fish most places 3 up 3 down but on bigger tides there is a Stronger Run as the River is a Bit Narrower
Is east halton along the wall to the end and is that were the woods are , thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
East Halton is a few miles up river. You gain access to the river front through East Halton village. Follow the road along Townside onto station road which becomes skitter road. Hope this helps.

Reactions: JimmyC

·
Registered
92 Posts
A bit of a late response here, I fish East Halton quite a bit and do all my casting practice / lessons there and one little trick with that venue is that it is worth casting a lead no further than 25 - 35mt, by all means blast another rod as far as you can but fish come right into the stones to pick up the food lodged in the stones. Summer or winter, give it a try.

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit of a late response here, I fish East Halton quite a bit and do all my casting practice / lessons there and one little trick with that venue is that it is worth casting a lead no further than 25 - 35mt, by all means blast another rod as far as you can but fish come right into the stones to pick up the food lodged in the stones. Summer or winter, give it a try.

Phil
Is it possible to catch sole from east halton and do you drive down that long road to get there if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes it is down that long road Vern BUT I have never caught or seen anyone else catch sole there. Goxhill is better for sole, I have caught quite a few from there along with Barrow and Barton all on bigger tides. Small worms work best including dendrobena earth worms which seriously wriggle like mad.

I will be fishing Goxhill myself this week with luck but I don't think for one minute sole will be showing yet. I found that fishing warm sunny days has been the most productive not that the sun can penetrate the Humber bisto water but there it is.

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is down that long road Vern BUT I have never caught or seen anyone else catch sole there. Goxhill is better for sole, I have caught quite a few from there along with Barrow and Barton all on bigger tides. Small worms work best including dendrobena earth worms which seriously wriggle like mad.

I will be fishing Goxhill myself this week with luck but I don't think for one minute sole will be showing yet. I found that fishing warm sunny days has been the most productive not that the sun can penetrate the Humber bisto water but there it is.

Phil
Cheers Phil been and had another look bays are smmaller and lots of rocks on the river bed. Will fish as tide is up to reduce tackle loss but does it fish well or will i have another blank. How do you get access to the river from goxhill and Barton and barrow. I was resigned to going acrosshumber bridge to hessle for sole cheers for reply.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Goxhill, Enter village and continue on the main road in until you reach a sharp 90 degree right bend with a small lane straight on, take the small lane and the sea wall is on your left. Park up and walk through the gate on left up onto the sea wall and find a spot, mainly to the right.
Barrow, Follow signs to Barrow Haven and continue until you cannot go any further, there is a car park on the right so leave the car there. The haven is on the left and you will need to walk over the haven using the train line, once over, follow the bank round to the left and fish once round the bend. I have not fished there for a while so cannot give you any up to date info.
Barton, there are two main spots, over to the far left going past the nature reserve to the car park, fishing anywhere on that stretch. I used to fish under the Humber Bridge but now it requires a good cast or you go out on the muddy marsh grass but beware as I have not been out on the foreshore for a few years.

All these venues will fish with normal lug / rag worms and crab but take a tub of dendrobena earth worms and cast out a distance if you like but cast a second rod no further than 25 - 35mts. Most of your flatties will be close in and use a 3oz lead as you do ot need more when close in, the rocks at East Halton will not normally cause any issues.

If you let me know when you are going, I will try to come and see you keeping at least 2mts away from you of course.

Phil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Goxhill, Enter village and continue on the main road in until you reach a sharp 90 degree right bend with a small lane straight on, take the small lane and the sea wall is on your left. Park up and walk through the gate on left up onto the sea wall and find a spot, mainly to the right.
Barrow, Follow signs to Barrow Haven and continue until you cannot go any further, there is a car park on the right so leave the car there. The haven is on the left and you will need to walk over the haven using the train line, once over, follow the bank round to the left and fish once round the bend. I have not fished there for a while so cannot give you any up to date info.
Barton, there are two main spots, over to the far left going past the nature reserve to the car park, fishing anywhere on that stretch. I used to fish under the Humber Bridge but now it requires a good cast or you go out on the muddy marsh grass but beware as I have not been out on the foreshore for a few years.

All these venues will fish with normal lug / rag worms and crab but take a tub of dendrobena earth worms and cast out a distance if you like but cast a second rod no further than 25 - 35mts. Most of your flatties will be close in and use a 3oz lead as you do ot need more when close in, the rocks at East Halton will not normally cause any issues.

If you let me know when you are going, I will try to come and see you keeping at least 2mts away from you of course.

Phil
Thanks for all that info Phil, will google earth goxhill and follow your instructions and then plan a visit might go to east halton for flounder on sunday 31/5/20. 6.1 m tide nice weather nice place to be dont know if it's a good tide though but that don't matter really. i'm on Facebook verns sea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry Vern only just picked this up otherwise I would have had a drive over there. Instead, I went to my village, Goxhill sea wall to look for a few flounder BUT this is a venue which does much better with bigger tides and a 6.1 is not ideal.
First cast, a small flounder.........................................that was it, nothing else.

To be fair, I was using a tub of dendrobena worms that I bought a couple of weeks before the lockdown and whilst they were still wriggling, they stopped sooner than fresher worms but it gave me the chance to try out my new AFAW two + bait that I bought in the clearance sale on ebay, I LIKE IT

Need to get some fresh worms ready for the bigger tides towards the end of next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Vern only just picked this up otherwise I would have had a drive over there. Instead, I went to my village, Goxhill sea wall to look for a few flounder BUT this is a venue which does much better with bigger tides and a 6.1 is not ideal.
First cast, a small flounder.........................................that was it, nothing else.

To be fair, I was using a tub of dendrobena worms that I bought a couple of weeks before the lockdown and whilst they were still wriggling, they stopped sooner than fresher worms but it gave me the chance to try out my new AFAW two + bait that I bought in the clearance sale on ebay, I LIKE IT

Need to get some fresh worms ready for the bigger tides towards the end of next week.
I am the same phil i keep forgeting to check w.s.f. site as always on YouTube. Dendrobena worms are they earth worms from the garden and what is AFAW two + bait .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dendrobena are earth worms but not what you find in your garden, they come from Belgium I believe and are normally now bred for fishing. Normal earth worms die very quickly but dendro's just keep on wriggling and keep in a dark place for weeks and weeks in fact still good after 6 weeks. Just buy a tub from the tackle shop but I have not tried them in open sea, only used them in the humber.
Some years ago, there was a breader in my village who supplied me and it soon caught on what I was using for bait, at one club match, I supplied 4 other lads, the result was that we took the first 5 places. That was at Barton on Humber so well up river but I have used them in Humberstone creek and caught fish so there you are Vern.

AFAW 2+bait..........................ahhhh well who knows without directly asking Jules. AFAW had a clearance sale on ebay and I saw that so bought it, I suspect they were a forerunner to the Estury rod series but that is just my thoughts and I did ask Jules as I phoned him about a couple of things but he was not really clear on the rod however I have used it twice now and really like it for flatties. With a 20z lead it goes very well but with a 3oz I don't push it, just flicking out to around 30 - 50 yds which is all I need to do anyway. Good bite detection as well.

Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts