World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my beer as much as the next guy but I never drink while fishing because it lowers the body temperature; makes the reflexes slower and so bites are missed and where I normally fish in the Severn Estuary, you have to be on your wits because you'll get cut off by the tide. Then you have to take your cans home with you and hope that the cops don't nab you in the car on the way back.
There's nothing better though than having a few jars in the pub on your way home if your mate's driving and he's a teetotaller.
This is just my opinion not a lecture, whats your take on this?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've seen too many incidents caused by alcohol whilst fishing(shore boat and especially when carp fishing),to say moderation is fine but excess is VERY dangerous when fishing.Quite a few boats now ban alcohol on fishing trips due to previous problems.I once went out on a boat Penarth where 4 blokes tried to bring on 2x24 cases of lager,and threatened the skipper when he told them no!They saw the error of their ways when the 6 people in our party turned up and dangled the mouthiest one over the pontoon.Not a pleasant way to start the day!
I like a drink as much as anybody(says he with a roof over his toolshed that's Aussie for a beer belly!),but to put you or somebody else in danger or to ruin somebody else's day is not on.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
As long as your not driving and dont bother anyone else i dont see the problem of a few beers when shore fishing as long as its safe and you take the empties home

Boat fishing and beer don't go together in my opinion though!

But nothing better than stopping off for a chat and a few pints in a nearby pub on the home :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
i suppose one or two in the summer is fine, chill out and watch the sun go down with one or two, for me its a no no, 1, im drving and 2, i got very drunk when i first started out fishing and i was on sully island whilst fishing off the high cliff's, i thought i was fine but slipped off, all my mates thought i was a gonna but luckly i fell onto a outcrop a further 10ft down, which in the day i never noticed before!!!!! i just think somone was looking after me that night, but next time i might not be so lucky, if i had missed this ledge then i would have gone a good 70ft into the rocks/water, proberly died too

so just be careful, now i enjoy fishing more with my soup,rolls and a can of tango :D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A couple of beers is fine not a skinfull!

·
Registered
980 Posts
i dont mind a skinfull while fishing from the beach but i always take my empties with me, i dont cause any harm to anybody and am sensible after a few, also i only drink in summer when weather is warmer and only off a beach which you dont have to climb any cliffs at all .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts