World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there people new to site looking for places to fish and camp preferable ayrshire coast but dont mind going a wee bit further north or south any information most greatful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
down dunure way lots of free space on the coastline nd a site near heads of ayr , going north i think its possible to camp just inside kelburn country park on the site to your left as you go up the drive gives you portencross hunterston fairlie largs marks
islands like millport and arran are worth a mention also
sandylands in stevebston near saltcoats might allow tents but im not sure mate this is close to saltcoats and ardrossan marks .
time of year spinning gear with a couple of floats is ok
if you decide on a particular spot let you know more .
gl and welcome .

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
hello and welcome

happy hunting

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Why don't you try Ardwell Bay, South of Stranraer. Good camping area just 100yds from the car park, good beach and rock marks nearby, try float fishing sandeels or mackarel strips from the rocks for Pollack, and onto the beach at night for some flatties or even a Bass (if you are lucky)

Attachments

·
Banned
15,237 Posts
Welcome to the site. :)

Wherever you end up, if camping on a beach be very aware of the tide.

Ideally try and plan your camping when you have two high tides in daylight hours. Daytime high tides are always lower than nighttime highs. Spring tides will be even higher.

Tue 29th Jul 2008
08:54 - 2.87m H
21:18 - 2.97m H

Tue 5th Aug 2008
02:27 - 3.59m H
15:20 - 3.10m H

(Largs Times. +1hr BST)

As you can see for Tue 29th there's a 10cm difference, both daytime highs.

For Tue 5th there's nearly a 50cm difference between day and night highs.

50cm is a big difference when your camping on a beach. The water will come up the beach an extra 20, 30, 40ft or whatever depending on the beach.

Also remember tide heights change from day to day so because it was OK one night doesn't mean it will be OK the next.

This photo was taken at Loch Etive. The first night there was no problem with the tide. The second night it came to within a foot of our tents. Can see it's already destroyed our fire.

View attachment 20509

Enjoy your camping.

Stevie. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Why don't you try Ardwell Bay, South of Stranraer. Good camping area just 100yds from the car park, good beach and rock marks nearby, try float fishing sandeels or mackarel strips from the rocks for Pollack, and onto the beach at night for some flatties or even a Bass (if you are lucky)

Where exactly did you camp? cause it looks nothing like the bit at Ardwell i was at

·
Registered
390 Posts
QUOTE=kimbo1;1286124]Where exactly did you camp? cause it looks nothing like the bit at Ardwell i was at[/QUOTE]

There are 2 Ardwells down there, one on the Luce bay side (East) where the village of Ardwell is, and that one is Ardwell bay on the West side looking towards Ireland. As you come into Ardwell village from Stranraer, turn first right before you get to Ardwell Marine boat & bait shop, follow road around a mile or so to crossroads with phone box on right. Turn left here and follow road/track/bombsite all the way to the very very end, into Ardwell bay, past main car park, and all the way to the slipway.

There is a style into the field on the left as you look at the slipway, over the fence, 100 yards or so, good flat area for tents, lovely view of beach and sunset, can see lighthouses on Irish coast on clear night. short walk to beach/car/rocks etc.

So where were you?:fishing:[

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was at the luce bay side.

Is that the private beach that is owned by Ardwell Estate? If i remember rite there was a very bassy looking beach there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice was maybe thinking about round dunure way or further down around girven.think it may be a week or two before i go as well.I have fished at Millport years ago is it ok to set up camp around the island?
Thanks again and anymore advice is much appricated.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was at the luce bay side.

Is that the private beach that is owned by Ardwell Estate? If i remember rite there was a very bassy looking beach there.
Thats the one! I hear tales of Bass being caught there, but have yet to do so myself! It does look the part though, Ardwell Marine boat & bait shop will give advice on what is being caught where in the area, they usually have a blackboard in the shop with current info!

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
welcome to the sight :), as fergusdaddy said ardwell backshore, you need to turn up by kirkmadrine stones and just keep heading down that road also i would recomend Portpatrick theres planty places to camp and some very excellent marks to fish :victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts