World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>My local institutes offer over 100 Evening classes in every subject conceivable with one glaring exception --Fishing.Listing the topics we have to learn about our sport the amount we have to assimilate to be successful and enjoy our sport in the round is incredible.Not only tackle skills but tidal lore,environment,fish recognition and life cycles ,seashore ecology ,bait knowledge ,rod technology,weather,boat fishing &nbsp;,Seabird recognition,safety I could go on. That&#39;s without other forms of fishing such as coarse and fly.There&#39;s enough for an "A" level or even a degree.Surely there must be enough interest to sustain such a course,after all there is enough for pseudoscientiic subjects as Aromatherapy.
Perhaps there are some classes somewhere ? Who would teach it Aye there&#39;s the rub.food for thought.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Good point I wonder if any one has ever contemplated such a course but then who woul regulate course content and then if such a cousre was made why would you go? To me the fun of fishing is the uncontrolled learning, with the ability to make mistakes and learn from them. It is also the ability to learn direct from others and your environment.</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Perhaps it would give a job to the thousands of Environmental Science graduates every year with no jobs to go to.What do you say to an Environmental Graduate ? Double Burger and Fries please &#33; &nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>So harsh but its probably got some truth to it. Im a graduate &nbsp;and its not that easy to find a decent job.</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Professor,

What better fishing classes are there than this Forum. Everything you want to know can be taught here by more teachers than you will find in a school. All you have to do is ask and you have all the answers within a few days, and even better, you have different opinons, not just the one of a lecturer.

Keep up the good work lads.

Cheers

Drew</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Well.. if you were to go to a class, you&#39;d be taught the way that the person teaching likes to do things, their ideals, methods.. My dad taught me how to fish when I was a youngster, but pretty soon I was talking to other people and asked how they did things.. what rigs they used etc. and pretty soon I was changing the way I fished, taking useful advice from here and there.. developing my own way.. my dad didn&#39;t like it (like most, they know best&#33;).. but guess who had a better catch rate than him?
&nbsp;of course when you&#39;re a beginner its pretty daunting.. especially going into a tackle shop.. you&#39;re afraid you&#39;re gonna walk out with a ton of stuff you don&#39;t need.. nobody likes to admit they&#39;re a newbie in any field&#33;

But with some basic advice.. pop down to some known marks, piers, chat with the locals and soon enough it&#39;s 2nd nature. &nbsp;Takes time.. nobody becomes an expert over night.. I think it&#39;s like Mike [Thrussell] said, when you stop learning, you ought to stop fishing&#33;

I think the only time you need real help is a casting coach if you need to develop that for long distance casting. &nbsp;Apart from that, there&#39;s magazines, books, the Internet and your tackle shop / locals to get you started. &nbsp;Nobody ever told me to go get stuffed when asking for advice.

My 2cents
</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts