World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a good 'un.

I been thinking of joining the local sea fishing club and would like opinions, experiences of clubs and what others actually think of them?

All experiences, opinions...... welcome good or bad

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Whatever you do pick one that you can handle easily.
  • Too small and you find yourself feeling a little bit of a prat (whatever turns you on) as you smash aimlessly at some monster doggy that won't let go of your favourite hook and you chase it around on the beach. You will certainly get some exercise whilst keeping onlookers happy.
  • Too big and you get into the problem of overstrain. It is similar to the Too Stiff Rod Syndrome (T.O.S.S.) (unfortuneately never had the problem myself, but there you are!) This tends to manifest itself in back and shoulder strains and inexplicable disappearence of small fish on a beach when the aforesaid club descends at huge terminal velocities. There was once a dreadful accident on a beach when an out of control TOSSer let go his club which rendered a happy lone, bespectacled, paddling, visitor, ... well , ... dead actually. As the coroner said, "The funeral will be on Tuesday if a search for some body bits proves successful."
  • Don't mention a PRIEST!!!
Otherwise, oh great and venerable Barrel person, look for a club that has hot and cold poledancing (that's what these Eastern European visitors do is it?) and who are able to appreciate your venerable and infectious personality. They have competitions organised and always someone to fish with on land or sea. Cheaper than taking yours out every time.

Seriously they may well be the basis, in the future, of establishing a grass roots self-regulating sea-fishing etiquette sytem aimed at conservation and education generally. I hear some dreadful negative stories about loutish behaviour etc. which result from poorly run groups but good clubs need to be fair to keep their members. Local Councils are far more likely to co-operate with good clubs if they can see that through them they can protect the shared environment. Does having a good local club improve or destroy the Council owned/run slipway?
Others will no doubt know better!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Swelleyman has returned!! LOL

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Cheers Barrel, glad you can put up with my curious interpretations!
However we've had no 'bites' positive or negative regarding the actual nature of club membership!
  • Who's joined one years ago and are still regular members? Why?
  • Who's joined one and left quickly? Why?
Anti-social individuals, like me, who prefer to fish alone (I sometimes think of myself as an old grey Heron) have not got the information!

A long time ago ('50s) I joined the Menai Bridge Boating Club, organised to administer moorings etc. for the Council. There was communal help/advice regarding moorings/launchings/laying-up and of course FISHING! We had a communal dinghy tied up on the pier so that we always had access to our moorings/boats. Most members had boats of less than 25', with outboards and the enviable 16-18' inboard launches (always wanted one!) We only fished the Straits, trolling for bass in the Summer and cod/flatties in Autumn. Few fished in Spring and Autumn then. It was very much a local village thing with great unorganised competitiveness (who caught the first bass for example) I don't think that's what you meant though was it?

Look forward to getting the real gen!

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well to be honest Swelley that sounds like a nice little set up you were in back then....I was waiting for the 'then one day this happened' but it didn't come.

Thing is I have heard people saying clubs are no good cos to be accepted you gotta fish in all the club comps all the time and also other people saying that is not true.

not really sure waht to make of it.

Seems like people aint got opinions about clubs though like you said 'no bites'

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Exactly! Don't know what actually happened to the MBBC but it was right at the start of the '60s. I think the existing 'club' is far more sophisticated and I think more Competition minded - Great! - Different Strokes for Different Folks, and all that! Still, if I was able to afford to go back to live there it would be great to be able, when I wanted, if I wanted, to fish with a regular crowd every week in the same way I do with my Senior Golfing mates (Comps. Twice a week!) I notice that when I read the local paper in Lowestoft (about 3/4 times a year, but I read the back copies a well!) that their seems to be an almost weekly comp. there on one or other of the beaches. So as well as the larger 'Opens' they must have a more 'parochial' local comp.

Perhaps the 'clubbers' will switch on their computers in the week?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts