World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if its safe and possible to fishing denny island, i heard u can follow the tide and walk all the way there. has anyone ever fished it?and was it worth all the effort?

thanks kingsleigh:boat:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you will most likely die if you go out there. unless you are on a boat.
may not be what you want to hear but a reply

·
Registered
631 Posts
just wondering if its safe and possible to fishing denny island, i heard u can follow the tide and walk all the way there. has anyone ever fished it?and was it worth all the effort?

thanks kingsleigh:boat:
A harsh answer is GET THAT THOUGHT OUT OF YOUR HEAD YOU WILL DIE:nono::nono::nono:

·
Sole Man!
1,630 Posts
If you walk to Denny island you be dead within two miles of the shore.
The quicksand out there is scary & the speed of the rip means you'll be a floating corpse in Gloucester before you know it.

I was once out { a little too far} with my mate wandering the sands, heard this noise, quickly turned round & my mate had instantly sunk to his chest. He was a big chap & there was no way i could even move him. Luckily he had a big pole with him which he used to lever himself out, lost his wellies though.
That was about 500 yards out from the peat banks.
Big lesson learned there!!
brolly

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes Kings !

Dont even think about walkin there mate, Get a boat to drop you off if you can find 1 that would take you,
You may as well just get out on Flat holm, Safer and probably better fishin !!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That's the craziest thing you can do, the tide comes in faster than you can run on those flats, I've even sunk up to my knees when walking a couple of hundred yards from the shore at Magor and had to leave my wellies behind. Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have walked about half way before,it was jus gravely saand. so the island is safe enough to fish on just not to walk to ?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
:nono::nono::nono::nono:YOU REALLY NEED TO GET THE IDEA OUT OF YOUR HEAD!! I DONT MEEN TO BE RUDE BUT MANY MANY LIVES HAVE BEEN LOST BY PEOPLE WANDERING AROUND AT LOW TIDE IN THE BRISTOL CHANNEL!!!! THE SANDBANKS ETC MOVE WITH EVERY TIDE. JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE ABLE TO WALK OUT THERE ONE DAY DOSNT MEEN YOU CAN THE NEXT! THE BRISTOL CHANNEL HAS THE SECOND HIGHEST RISE AND FALL OF TIDE IN THE WORLD. THE WATER MOVES FASTER THAN YOU CAN RUN!! AS THE TIDE COMES IN THE SAND/MUD/GRAVEL TURNS TO LIQUID AND YOU SINK!!
SO EVEN IF YOUR STUPID ENUFF TO PUT YOUR LIFE AT RISK, DONT BE STUPID ENUFF TO PUT THE LIVES OF YOUR POTENTIAL RESCUERS AT RISK!! EVERYBODY HAS SAID DONT DO IT!! SO DONT DO IT!!:nono::nono::nono::thumbdown:thumbdown sorry for shouting but it dosnt seem like youve taken any notice of any advice given on this thread!!! I have nearly 40 years experience of fishing the channel up that way, and ive learnt to respect it. maybe you should do the same.
Rant over. Ill never forget the day SARA pulled the bodys of two small children dead from the water up by the bridge. chilling and very, very sad.
tight lines. fish safe:victory:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Might sound like a stupid question but where is Denny Island. I’ve got no intention of going there just curious as to where it is.

Tight Lines Matt.H

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karlos im sure i posted here asking if iis safe to do so . People have said the sand is deadly wich i have accepted now i asked was the island safe to fish and get there by boat. So if u dont mind read my post properly before commenting. I havnt said im going to walk out there and fish it. i haven't said i will even fish it at all just looking at new marks to improve my catch. + i was out looking for worms when i though of it. obviously i thought id ask for advice before doing so. . Please dont comment if ure gonna be an arse.

denny island is in the middle of the channel between red wick and avonmouth u can see it clearly from severn bridge and coasts arround chepstow to newport

thanks everyone else.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Karlos im sure i posted here asking if iis safe to do so . People have said the sand is deadly wich i have accepted now i asked was the island safe to fish and get there by boat. So if u dont mind read my post properly before commenting. I havnt said im going to walk out there and fish it. i haven't said i will even fish it at all just looking at new marks to improve my catch. + i was out looking for worms when i though of it. obviously i thought id ask for advice before doing so. . Please dont comment if ure gonna be an arse.

denny island is in the middle of the channel between red wick and avonmouth u can see it clearly from severn bridge and coasts arround chepstow to newport

thanks everyone else.

FFS you have been told that you will get yourself in major trouble getting to the place.

you actually haven't asked about getting there by boat either.....on that point how the hell do you think a boat is going to be able to drop you onto it and recover you with the tide rips....what draft would the boat have to be!!!! it would be treacherous enough for a lifeboat to get close let alone a boat in 5-7knot tide race. and what happens if you have a fall while out there????
does it have mobile reception on there???

if in any doubt why not ring the rnli or SARA and get their advice...and wait for the medics that they will send round to have you sectioned.

there are plenty of places and ways to improve your your catch results without going to this type of stupidity.

casting lessons...just to try and get that further 30 yards
bait collect - get out there and collect your own bait and keep it in pristine condition.
look at the reports on here about the amount of hounds and rays being caught and see if you can tag along with people who will show you how to fish a place and when.
choose the ideal tides to maximize your results
or even just get out on a charter and use the boat hire money that you planned to get to the island to pay for it!!

sorry if i come across as harsh but i've read some daft ideas on here over the years but this takes 1st prize by miles.

john

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.