World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fished Sandbanks or Shell bay in Dorset recently and wouldn't mind sharing some tactics and what species can be caught there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi kiers

This time of year sandbanks produces plaice, bass and some bream. More down towards the ferry end tho. Personally I'd go towards southborne rather than sandbanks as it's fast approaching grockle season and sandbanks gets very busy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kiers

This time of year sandbanks produces plaice, bass and some bream. More down towards the ferry end tho. Personally I'd go towards southborne rather than sandbanks as it's fast approaching grockle season and sandbanks gets very busy
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Bass, mackerel, pollock and garfish in the race near the ferry. Trundle worm baits along the bottom for a few plaice, gurnard and occasionally wrasse fishing into the harbour. Very weedy, especially so when tide is ripping through. Most people fish plastics for bass. 20g Tobies seem to work for mackerel.
Outside the race it's a bit patchy but there's sometimes smoothies, rays, turbot and bass. Over towards the Studland beaches there are mullet, especially in the corner at Middle Beach, and the jetties and rocks on the Sandbanks side are also mullet central. The beach is quite shallow at Shell Bay but there's a ruined training wall which sometimes brings bass very close in.
I've always had better luck over in Mudeford or Hengistbury.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bass, mackerel, pollock and garfish in the race near the ferry. Trundle worm baits along the bottom for a few plaice, gurnard and occasionally wrasse fishing into the harbour. Very weedy, especially so when tide is ripping through. Most people fish plastics for bass. 20g Tobies seem to work for mackerel.
Outside the race it's a bit patchy but there's sometimes smoothies, rays, turbot and bass. Over towards the Studland beaches there are mullet, especially in the corner at Middle Beach, and the jetties and rocks on the Sandbanks side are also mullet central. The beach is quite shallow at Shell Bay but there's a ruined training wall which sometimes brings bass very close in.
I've always had better luck over in Mudeford or Hengistbury.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts