World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips/marks/catches/baits in Dumfries and Galloway aroung Balcary, Rascarrel Bay ect. I normally catch a lot of dogfish, small flatties and small codling + i am looking for any tips to help me catch some better sized fish, usually using mackeral for bait on a pulley rig and size 3/0 hooks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
welcome aboard mate i am from dumfries myself,OK , dont bother with mackerel, get yourself down southerness 200 yds to the right o the lighthouse near low water and dig dig for lug. frozen lug is a decent alternative if you cant dig also sometimes the fishing shop in castle douglas does live rag which are also ok , tipping with razorfish may also help. Try and get hold of an ordanance survey map this will help you to locate the different marks. flat rock , the point at balcary , the monument colvend and rascarrel . rascarrel is snaggy so be prepared it does tend to hold the fish a mate got a couple o cod their in october 5lb ish in size. had no joy recently at flat rock and colvend although i did here there were a couple o good cod on boxing day.
GOOD LUCK,
any joy let me know, more Qs just ask

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello Baileybridger

I have been curious as to how good the marks down your way are. I was down that way camping a couple of years ago and decided to have a walk along to Balcary. We parked at the hotel area and walked to what I think was Balcary. It was a long walkwhich led to some pretty high jagged looking rocks. There was a guy fishing with his son although i dont htink they were catching anything.

We have all heard of the big fish that get caught there every year, but is there numbers of fish or do you just have to sit it out and wait for the odd big one?

Cheers - for any help you can offer, Its a real long drive from Fife, just trying to gauge when is best or if its worth it at all.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi baileybridger,
thanks for the advice I have been fishing for quite a long time now at rascarrel and abbeyburnfoot at dundrennen so im used to heavy tackle loses! however i am new to digging bait, you mentioned southerness for digging lugs and i was wondering if u had any tips on locating and the excavating the worms? also if there any sea angling clubs in the dumfries area as i am interested in joining a club. thanx for all your help!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi craig_d jst wondering if u have any information on fishing in Anstruther? i am going there for a week of fishing and i was wondering about species in the area and baits also if there are any bait/tackle shops near by? any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello again lewis and hello craig, as with anywhere else the fishing used to be better, it is hit and miss at the mo i think a colder spell is needed , this is only my second season at the cod in dumfries and as i work in kent i dont get up as much as i would like but i am in regular contact with a few lads who do fish alot , the fish are their but their seems to be fewer than last year but it has been mild, my mate had a few doubles last october 03 and in feb 04 , I am going home again in feb (fingers crossed) and will post a report then. as for marks at balcary from the car park follow the path through the field up the hill at the gate on the cliff go right up another hill, down as you look over to the left u will see an unmistakable wooden monument go down the little steep path and their u have the flat rock fish off the right hand side. bare in mind though my mate also likes to fish arbroath and goes at least twice a year but he also religiously fishes balcary and colvend. Balcary is also good for bass in summer.

ok digging lug please somebody else help me with this, use a fork or spade look for a spot with lots o casts thick casts bigger worms dig down maybe 40 cm keeep your hole clean and dig backward making a trench keep your eyes peeled and stick at it ,its not easy a mate and i one spade , got about 40 worms in 30 mins on tuesday, im sure others beat this though! phew god i am crap at typing!

·
Registered
51 Posts
sorry lewis forgot to answer on clubs their is definetly a club at locharbriggs social club dumfries, i am sure castle douglas and kirkubright have one i am sure if u phoned the social club and asked ,left a message, somebody would help u out either give u the number for C D or kirkubright. i would definetly advise u to join a club it is a nightmare for new/ young anglers to find out where when to fish , it is great to speak to somebody who knows what there on about, i was lucky and met a great mate without his teachings and advice i would still be fishing the wrong marks with the wrong bait at the wrong time of year in the wrong weather ... catching F all !!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Lewis

Anstruther can fish on its day, like most other marks in the area a good easterly blow is required to get the best out of the marks. The 2 piers can produce fish - sometimes to double figures. I think it would be well worth driving a few miles up the coast to Crail. You have more variety and a better chance of a few fish. The marks are fairly easy to get to and find.

Roome rocks in front of the caravan park can be a good mark fish over low. 2 double figure fish were caught from here a couple of weeks ago in the big competition. At this time of year most pople will be after cod, although wrasse and coalfish will also be caught and maybe the odd dogfish with the outside chance of small conger.

I don't think there are any tackle shops in the area - Kirkcaldy might be the closest. Might be worth considering driving up to Arbroath area which will open up your chances of connecting with some decent fish.

If you need any more help give me a shout and I will do my best to point you in the right direction...........

·
Registered
51 Posts
hullo maxie, no fraid not is the answer you have to park in a lay by half way down to the farm it is sign posted , parking for fishermen. watch out for the new dairy mans dog he likes following folk and accompanied us on a whole days fishing much to the upset of the dairymans wife!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts