World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been fishing for bass on the fly.
Decided to give it a go and try somthing new, looking forward to landing a fish on such light tackle.
Any information would be a great help as I'm completely new to this game.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
aint had a bass on the fly yet but had loads of mackerel last summer they fight hard enough... use a heavy fly rod and a heavy line to go with it you still get the fight out of the fishn and i found it easier to cast further with. Use a sinking, or fast sinking line carry a floater with you take big black and silver lures for the bass but i was using little shrimpthings. I started off last year on the mackerel and am hoping to try for a bass this year. start off small and work your way up

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you be using a single fly then or a few as in mackerel feathers ?
I'm not really sure of the rig set up.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Take a look at the Topic 'saltwater Fly' on the left above this forum, the white writing on blue background.

My fly fishing for Bass has produced lots of Pollack and Mackeral!! I used a standard rod/line (Wt 8) from my dinghy in the Swellies just rowed into the maelstrom of the currents near the Perch and then left to its own devices whilst I cast. The dinghy is forced into the kelp and stays in the eddies, going round in circles! Very hairy particularly at night! Not foolhardy as currents keep small craft off the rocks! Well I'm still here aren't I! As for shore casting my technique not good enough except in still conditions. I have bought myself a two handed salmon rod second hand which helps in a wind but not really spent enough time at it in recent years. The trick I think is to find a spot over deepish water that sticks out into the sea near swift currents! Oh and full of fish on the surface. Let me know if you find one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts