World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I realise that it isn't probably the right time of year and I plan to have a go in the summer. I have seen people fishing for bass in the river at Gorleston front
in the past. I have seen rods strapped and laid down. What methods would local anglers recommend for trying to catch when I have a try later in the year. I have
heard that people use bait or artificial. With artificial what type and would that be left to drift in the current and wait for a bite. Hope that someone may be
able to give me some advice on this subject before I pop out and buy the completely wrong stuff as usual.

Cheers

Jez.:g:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I prefer beach fishing with baits on the sandy beaches in may to july, use normal Cod gear, big lug baits or crab does well, in that river the water will be muddy so lures might not work that well, I've just bought a pair of carp spod rods for the bass, should be fun using them with 3oz weights, cheap to buy as only £35 each

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Coming back from Hopton on the A12 a couple of years ago,,,early hours of the morning,, there was a couple of chaps fishing off the bridge where the river goes into breydon water ,they'd had as couple of schoolies,,not sure what they'd do if they hooked a decent fish,,,,used to be able to fish from the back of asda if security didn't kick you off....

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Have a look on the South side of the river, go through Cobholm as far as you can go and fish around the old landing jettys, shopping trolleys, old tyres etc, in the area of the bridge.
Lots of keen schoolies including some the size of your lure.
I'd fish surface poppers or very shallow diving lures as theres that much crap in the shallows you'll spend half your day trying to get your lures back.
Don't be tempted to, as the tide goes down, go and retrieve one on foot. I, ahem, 'know' somebody who's tried that.

There's a good day out to had in the summer very early morning, by parking up as close to Asda as you can, walking down with the last of the ebb tide along the Wherryman's Way on the North Bank to where the R.Yare joins Breydon.
Then fish all that round that area, again surface lures are worth a shot as would a silver mepps spinner as you never know what you might get on one of those.
Take a pocket full of bits and pieces and have a go on the bottom to for an hour once the suns up.
Then when you get bored you can decamp to the Berney Arms for a pint, train it back..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Mate of mine from Sheffield has just taken on the Berney Arms might get a breakfast out of it.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'm glad someone's giving that a go. Its an Institution that place!
I had a walk down to it a while back, it was shut and looking a bit sorry for itself.
I did wonder if it would open again.
Got some good memories from the Berney Arms..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts