World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a fletcher 15ft speedboat with a 50hp Mercury and was wondering if this would be ok to fish from?

Not into serious boat fishing just a day out from dry land as it would be.

Fishing from the East Anglian coast if anyone needs that info

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi,
I have a fletcher 15ft speedboat with a 50hp Mercury and was wondering if this would be ok to fish from?

Not into serious boat fishing just a day out from dry land as it would be.

Fishing from the East Anglian coast if anyone needs that info

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Your boat has what is called a V hull (1) and is in the terms of proper fishing boats very low to the water (2), also the seating is arranged so that you always face forward.(3)

1/ it will flop from side to side when not under power and is not too stable so that

2/ the low freeboard could allow water to spill in if the boat rocks too far to one side for any reason.

3/ when fishing from a boat one needs to face aft, facing forward but twisting round is uncomfortable and potentialy dodgy because you are unbalanced .

What can you do...... A light spinning rod some silver spinners and go mackeral fishing by towing the spinner way back from the boat and at very slow speed.

Afishionado

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The Fletcher has a hull designed for going along fast, not sitting in the sea bobbing about .I can see it upside down now :help:
Forget little speed boats for the sea, your asking for trouble.:nono:

Alan

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Plenty of people fish from a speedboat and have great fun. As long as you don't fish where waves could come over the side, and follow the same safety precautions as any boat user, you will be OK. However, as the other posters have suggested, a speedboat by its very nature is not really laid out as an angling boat so it will not be very comfortable nor should you go out too far with it. Better to drift or do slow trolling for bass and mackeral, or anchor up in shallow protected water out of the tide run for bottom fishing. I have seen plenty of speedboats used for fishing in the USA but they are not usually the fast sleek designs, more the deeper hull "family" boats particularly with the open seating section in the front, and always used in sheltered waters. The big advantage of a speedboat is if it starts to look nasty you can tie everything down, put pedal to metal and be home before the rest of us have our anchors up.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would this be ok? It looks sound enough and has a nice beam on it. As well as being able to be towed and slipped easily.

The work it needs is not really much to worry about for me either!

I would only be looking to go out to a maximum of 2 miles (As other half gets sea sick!!!) and only used for Mackerel and bottom fishing for the day.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
The words 'engine needs servicing ' would worry me. It has a low price now but most things do at that stage.
I often see some nice Dorys going on there for a few hundred quids ,may be more suited to your purpose?
jonC

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Many years ago when I was a water skier, my mate & I would take the boat out after mackerel in the summer, or whiting & cod in the winter, after we had finished ski-ing, we always made sure that the weather was flat calm when we went out & we had success with both.:yeah:
Not an ideal craft to fish from, but so long as you take sensible precautions, such as lifejackets & a handheld VHF, & somebody knows where you are & what time you will be back, you should be fine, on those few "glassy days" we get both summer & winter, lots a people on here go "yacking", now I dont fancy that one bit!:nonono:
blueskip

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I nearly ploughed into a small speed boat once, it was a bit choppy and i never saw it till the last minute as it was so low down in the water and in a trough of a wave.It had two people in it fishing.
Ok prehaps on a mill pond like day, but if you want to fish then i would say get a boat for that purpose.

roarscarymonster,
In a previouse post of yours you were looking to spend up to £10,500 on a boat.
If so, then you should be able to pick up a fine boat.
Have your plans changed?

Alan

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alan,
NO, plans have not changed, just that I have bought this boat for a steal (£200) including Mercury 50hp, Trailer and the boat is in a mighty fine condition for it's age.

It was to good an offer to refuse so I thought that instead of it rot on the drive, or sell it with all the hassle, I may as well get some use out of it!

Any more dvise.

Thanks for all your previous posts too.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If you've paid that for it then ebay it and buy a proper fishing boat with the substantial profit you'll make.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Give it a go, pick a fine day and have fun, but make sure you don't go out too far, have enough petrol, radio, flares, all the usual stuff plus of course lifejackets. The usual reasons we have to tow speedboats back home is they have run out of petrol, or can't start the engine again after they stopped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts