World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone please tell me the best methods to catch Bass from the rocks, because i am going to Trearddur Bay in Anglesey in June/July. Last year i used a running ledger rig with lug/rag worm, but i only caught Wrasse and Pollack. I am considering buying some redgill eels. I desperately want to catch some Bass, as so far my cousin and I have never caught one. I have 2 beach casters and 1 spinning rod. Could you please offer me any advice and techniques, because they will be very helpful as I only have the oppurtunity to go sea fishing once a year!
Thanks ever so much,
Tight Lines.
Edd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just checked that link again. You may have to ift through some of the subjects to find the relevant bits but they are there.

AndyD :rolleyes:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm not familiar with the venue you are fishing but I would recommend plugging over the rough ground during the day. Best plugs I find are Storm ChugBug or the Duel magnet slider. Both are surface poppers so you never lose any (apart from seagulls liking them)! If there are bass there they should got for them, its the most exciting fishing ever.
Your best bet for a real biggie would be fishing a big peeler crab bait, edible crab if poss, ledgered in a likely gully or route that the bass would take up through the rocks on an incoming tide. I favour big springs, no moon and calm conditions. Dont be put off by fishing close in in shallow water, the bass will be homing in on the scent from that big juicy peeler, just make sure you dont shine any light on the water and hold the rod at all times.
This works for me in Alderney and is probably applicable to your area.
Best of luck :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice,
but i am going in a motorhome with my grand parents and my cousin. As it does not have a lot of space could you possibly suggest a way of storing the peeler crabs as we will probably go for 10 days, and the fridge is not big enough. The shop at Trearddur Bay does not sell peeler crabs, but it does sell lug/rag worms, so i would have to order the crabs over the internet from Nottingham. I was thinking about taking some Feathers and using them to catch Mackerel to eat, but also as bait. Are Mackerel good for catching Bass and on which rig?
Thanks ever so much
Tight Lines
Edd

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you want peeler why not collect them yourself when you are there. Treadur is not the bast place for bass. I live near Caernarfon and can collect peeler 500 yards from my house, I will show you where and how if you want. Local dug lug is better from the shore here and again I can show you where they are and how to dig them if you don't know.

Get in touch by PM if you want more details.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would either go on the move with the plugging rod and search out the gullies and rock falls, but this will also account for pollock as well, or i would get hold of some peelers and use them if the beachcaster method is the one you prefer. spinnig and plugging is very underrated and very exciting, with the bass, (smaller ones especially) coming to the surface in a burst of spray and shaking of head and gills when hooked. on light tackle, its good fun. i would look for a flood tide on a calm evening or overcast day, bright sunlight can be the kiss of death sometimes. remember safety when fishing on rocks, always fish in pairs, and keep an eye one the gullies filling up behind you, its not fun being trapped on an incoming tide, trust me! its well hard swimming with a beachcaster! get local advice from the tackle shops, buy a few plugs or spinners from him and he will tell you all you want to know. and wear trainers, waders and rock walking do not mix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts