World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Β· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would have thought that with how fast the world is advancing that fishing hooks would have had some sort of upgrade would have happened but they haven't really changed their shape in well... ever.
And yes I understand 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but honestly it could be better.

How? I am not yet sure of but some sort of quick dissemblement for deep hooked fish is where I am thinking of improving.
I am sick of having to throw fish back in with a hook in their gut.
1 - it can't be great for the fish even if they can survive, why should they have to put up with having a hook dissolve inside them.
2 - what effect is it having on the environment, not just having the hooks in the water but the mass production of the hooks.
3. I want to keep as many hooks as I can. I am a cheapskate and every hook thrown away is money wasted. And not just that but the time spent reassembling rigs is fiddly.

So if anyone has any ideas they are welcome.
Of course it needs to still hook the fish.
Not come 'undone' in the water or when reeling in.
Be strong enough to hold fish.
And not cost much more than the standard hooks.

Β· Registered
9,831 Posts
You would have thought that with how fast the world is advancing that fishing hooks would have had some sort of upgrade would have happened but they haven't really changed their shape in well... ever.
And yes I understand 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but honestly it could be better.

How? I am not yet sure of but some sort of quick dissemblement for deep hooked fish is where I am thinking of improving.
I am sick of having to throw fish back in with a hook in their gut.
1 - it can't be great for the fish even if they can survive, why should they have to put up with having a hook dissolve inside them.
2 - what effect is it having on the environment, not just having the hooks in the water but the mass production of the hooks.
3. I want to keep as many hooks as I can. I am a cheapskate and every hook thrown away is money wasted. And not just that but the time spent reassembling rigs is fiddly.

So if anyone has any ideas they are welcome.
Of course it needs to still hook the fish.
Not come 'undone' in the water or when reeling in.
Be strong enough to hold fish.
And not cost much more than the standard hooks.

Simple take up Knitting!

Β· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Try circle hooks, watch for bites to develop, lift rod and reel in, rather than leaving the hooked fish out to devouring your hook. Buy some tools to get the hook out of a deep hooked fish, or keep your deep hooked fish, don’t bury your hook into the bait, keep the hook point exposed.
πŸ‘πŸΌ thanks I have some circle hooks on order.
I would still like to create a totally new hook design, don't know if anyone has ever tried to before but I want to try.

I reel in more often than needed and keep a finger on the line to feel when a little one bites not your typical fishing technique and I often get some funny looks but I can tell when I have a fish before my rod moves.
I have degorgers but when you cant even see the hook its difficult, it amazes me that a fish can swallow a hook bigger than its face. Some of the fish are too small to keep and regs say I need to throw them back.

And yes I always keep the point exposed, it was my instinct to do when beginning (self taught fisherwoman as I didn't know anyone to teach me)

Β· Registered
10,887 Posts
To make it clear I want to try to redesign the hook and am looking for ideas on that.
Fair enough if you want to keep the old style hooks but I want something better.
A common aspiration, often expressed by folks wishing to invent a better wheel. Hooks however have been designed and refined over millennia, and today we have the multitude of designs available.

To solve your problem with small fish swallowing your bait and hooks, try using much bigger baits and hooks.

Design wise, grab some old paperclips and a pair of pliers and start bending, and see where you end up.

Β· Registered
13,346 Posts
To make it clear I want to try to redesign the hook and am looking for ideas on that.
Fair enough if you want to keep the old style hooks but I want something better.
You go right ahead and give it your best shot although it has been designed and redesigned for eons to get where we are. Just keep in mind that whatever you design, a hint as to the correct shape is in the name "hook". That should give a starter for 10.

Β· Registered
12,668 Posts
There have been numerous scientific studies on fish left with hooks. Most fish will remove a hook by shaking them out, this takes large amounts of energy which to me isn't that good for a fish if its at the low end of the food chain (feeling tired today from all that shaking, going to have a rest!!).
The studies Ive seen on hook dissolving have shown there to be no increase of this whether the hook is inside a fish's mouth or just left in water, they take a long time.

Fish I intend to release are targeted with light gauge circles and barbs crushed, shame manufactures don't give more options to have barbless hooks, they would surely be cheaper to manufacture.

We often see sharks with circle hooks and bad infections around the hook but what is often worse is the marine growth that has formed on the trace attached to the hooks. This isn't just hooks, there are plenty of sharks that we swim with here that have large jigs hanging from them, which also gather marine growth just like the bottom of any boat or rope left in the water, look at mooring ropes that sit beneath the surface.

Β· Registered
12,668 Posts
If i dont lose the hook during the session it gets binned when i get home .... Get through hundreds a year .... and i`m not joking ......

If you were using the likes of BKK hooks you would find they hold the razor sharp tips for many uses.

The cost of resources to simply throw hooks away would be good enough reason not to do this but why not simply have a bucket of water you could dip your old hooks and rigs in and then pass them onto someone else or a kid starting off that isn't so wasteful.

Β· WSF 2021 Bass C&R Lure Trophy joint winner 80cm
1,735 Posts
πŸ‘πŸΌ thanks I have some circle hooks on order.
I would still like to create a totally new hook design, don't know if anyone has ever tried to before but I want to try.

I reel in more often than needed and keep a finger on the line to feel when a little one bites not your typical fishing technique and I often get some funny looks but I can tell when I have a fish before my rod moves.
I have degorgers but when you cant even see the hook its difficult, it amazes me that a fish can swallow a hook bigger than its face. Some of the fish are too small to keep and regs say I need to throw them back.

And yes I always keep the point exposed, it was my instinct to do when beginning (self taught fisherwoman as I didn't know anyone to teach me)
Nine times out of ten a deep-hooked fish is caught in the gill rakers. Open the gill flap and find the line above the hook. Insert your finger or forceps and pull a loop of line out of the gill, pulling the eye of the hook towards you. Grip the shank of the hook and push the bend of the hook towards the mouth. When the bend emerges from the fish's mouth , grip it and pull the hook out. I have done this thousands of times with very few casualties. There is a very good video on YouTube showing this technique. PH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.