World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new guy here, my wife will be working in Bergen for a year ( starting December) please advise best areas around this area, I have just started sea fishing using fly, I am planning on taking 9 wt , 10 wtfwd big arbour reel, floating line, also pike rod with small mag multiplyer and prob a fixed spool, been a while since I sea fished so any tips on this area would be good, I prefer rock edges close to water, I have seen YouTube on people fishing the lake in the middle of the town, catching brownies, advice on licensing etc, most my fish will be catch and release
Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Know nothing about fly fyshing, but for lake fishing, and little about Bergen as I am not from there. But as a general rule if you are fishing freshwater fish in a alke or river that there is salmon, trout or arctic charr, you will need a public licence issued by the state. It's about 250NOK a year. In addition you'll need a local licence for the particular lake, or lakes that you want to fish in.

For fishing i salrtwater no licence exist, and you can fish allmost anywhere you like. For specific places good for fly fishing you'll have to ask the Bergenians :-D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know nothing about fly fyshing, but for lake fishing, and little about Bergen as I am not from there. But as a general rule if you are fishing freshwater fish in a alke or river that there is salmon, trout or arctic charr, you will need a public licence issued by the state. It's about 250NOK a year. In addition you'll need a local licence for the particular lake, or lakes that you want to fish in.

For fishing i salrtwater no licence exist, and you can fish allmost anywhere you like. For specific places good for fly fishing you'll have to ask the Bergenians :-D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks my friend, yes I will just take the gear I think I will need and find out more when I get there....thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Did a quick searh. Turns out many of the lakes in the hills in Bergen Municipallity are free to fish (still need that state licence if they hold salmon, charr or trout that migrates into the sea). So ask the locals. Also will send you a PM

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a quick searh. Turns out many of the lakes in the hills in Bergen Municipallity are free to fish (still need that state licence if they hold salmon, charr or trout that migrates into the sea). So ask the locals. Also will send you a PM
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi

I don't know a lot about fly fishing but most people lure fish around here so it's kinda the same I guess. There is a place in Alvøen that a lot of people fish on the pier you can get mackerel, herring, coalfish, sea trout and the very occasional salmon amongst a few other bits. I live up the road but don't really fish it myself as it's very popular.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

I don't know a lot about fly fishing but most people lure fish around here so it's kinda the same I guess. There is a place in Alvøen that a lot of people fish on the pier you can get mackerel, herring, coalfish, sea trout and the very occasional salmon amongst a few other bits. I live up the road but don't really fish it myself as it's very popular.
Hi thanks for info, what would be the best spinning set up?rod ,reel and size braid or mono? Thanks
I don’t like crowded places, bit of a lone fisherman ha ha

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi thanks for info, what would be the best spinning set up?rod ,reel and size braid or mono? Thanks
I don’t like crowded places, bit of a lone fisherman ha ha
What people generally use is a 2500 or 4000 size fixed spool reel with a rod made for casting lure weights form 15-50 grams, and about 9-10 foot length. This is what everyone will have for allmost all kinds of fishing.

Personally I use an ABU Ambassadeur 6500 CS Rocket on a salmon rod that is for 20-60 gram lire weights for this kind of fishing.
But I could get away with a much lighter setup up, and added a 10-30 gram setup with a 2500 sized fixed spool reel to the arsenal this summer.

Next summer it will probably be an even lighetr setup, based around a light low profile baitcaster and rod in the 5-25 gram range if I can find a nine or ten foot trigger rod in that weight range. If not it will be a fixed spool setup.

And then there are a few lunatics like me who also fish with surf casting setup with static baits. Mostly derived from forums like this, and Youtube.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What people generally use is a 2500 or 4000 size fixed spool reel with a rod made for casting lure weights form 15-50 grams, and about 9-10 foot length. This is what everyone will have for allmost all kinds of fishing.

Personally I use an ABU Ambassadeur 6500 CS Rocket on a salmon rod that is for 20-60 gram lire weights for this kind of fishing.
But I could get away with a much lighter setup up, and added a 10-30 gram setup with a 2500 sized fixed spool reel to the arsenal this summer.

Next summer it will probably be an even lighetr setup, based around a light low profile baitcaster and rod in the 5-25 gram range if I can find a nine or ten foot trigger rod in that weight range. If not it will be a fixed spool setup.

And then there are a few lunatics like me who also fish with surf casting setup with static baits. Mostly derived from forums like this, and Youtube.
Very informative, I’ve got an old Abu 700c, and an small Abu mag reel quite small, got a carp rod and a pike rod, I think the pike rod would be ok, however might treat myself to what the locals are using, plus bring me fly gear, I’m determined to catch a decent saltwater fish on the fly
Any idea on what lures, as I will buy these in the uk before I come over
Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Very informative, I’ve got an old Abu 700c, and an small Abu mag reel quite small, got a carp rod and a pike rod, I think the pike rod would be ok, however might treat myself to what the locals are using, plus bring me fly gear, I’m determined to catch a decent saltwater fish on the fly
Any idea on what lures, as I will buy these in the uk before I come over
Thanks
If you can find anything that looks like this in the 30-40 gram range your all set. They are lead lures.
Else you cant go wrong with orange shads. But those lead lures work so well, that they tend to be the only ones I use.
Some silver spoons for mackerell is also worth having.

For the fly...I would recomend bringing something that looks like boiled shrimp, i.e red ones.

46175.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use a 5000 size spinning reel and braid with a 9ft 10-40g rod, I also use a 10ft 20-60g rod. If I want to work heavy shads in current I use a uptider rod 2-4oz just because it's what I have. I am mostly a bait fisherman to be honest but do like a bit of spinning for cod and pollock but mostly for herring and mackerel for my bait freezer. You will be able to find all lures etc here as that is the main fishing done here but you lose a bit of gear so might be worth stocking up on potentially cheaper gear in uk. Will you have a car whilst here because there are so many places to explore. I live in mathopen and generally fish that area as I can walk or use bus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a 5000 size spinning reel and braid with a 9ft 10-40g rod, I also use a 10ft 20-60g rod. If I want to work heavy shads in current I use a uptider rod 2-4oz just because it's what I have. I am mostly a bait fisherman to be honest but do like a bit of spinning for cod and pollock but mostly for herring and mackerel for my bait freezer. You will be able to find all lures etc here as that is the main fishing done here but you lose a bit of gear so might be worth stocking up on potentially cheaper gear in uk. Will you have a car whilst here because there are so many places to explore. I live in mathopen and generally fish that area as I can walk or use bus.
Hi my friend, I will get lures in uk, and some other stuff, cheaper, on the transport , no car so public transport and walk, I actually don’t mind this, although if you have some gear it can be hard work, but looking for comfortable fishing to get me started, might just use sandeel fly first, just to see how I get on, will try a few different flies, I was catching small pollock on trout flies in the summer....but looking fwd to it, need to buy some good clothes and boots to keep the cold out....and spinning rod and reel and that’s me ready ...cheers mate

·
Registered
57 Posts
The good thing is theres kinda fish all over so it's a case of finding areas you can get to, using Google earth to pick places. I use an app gulersider på sjøen for depth info etc. I'm a bait fisherman and that's not really done here too much so I have had to find my own spots with chuck it and chance it kinda thing since I moved over in may. There is a very well stocked fishing shop at bryggen that will probably be able to provide you some information called campelen. Do you know what area you will be living in?

·
Registered
748 Posts
For prices of lures in Norway, they are expensive , but there are some cheaper alternatives. For example the lures I posted above, the lead lures is a Sølvkroken Stingsild, they are quite pricey at £14 for a 3 pack. But you can find lead lures in more or less the same design for £1,5 in the "cheap bucket" at larger Coop supermarkets. The ponløy thing wrong with them is that after a couple of sessions all the color has fallen off. But I just steal my wifes nail polish and cover the new ones with thnat, and it will last longer. Hokks are often more than good enough, and I see no fifferenc ein catch rate between the chaep and the more pricey ones.

But if you buy in sports and dedicated tackle shops, be ready to pay a premium, simply because these places only carry the popular brand names. Look at Coop, Clas Ohlson, Biltema etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For prices of lures in Norway, they are expensive , but there are some cheaper alternatives. For example the lures I posted above, the lead lures is a Sølvkroken Stingsild, they are quite pricey at £14 for a 3 pack. But you can find lead lures in more or less the same design for £1,5 in the "cheap bucket" at larger Coop supermarkets. The ponløy thing wrong with them is that after a couple of sessions all the color has fallen off. But I just steal my wifes nail polish and cover the new ones with thnat, and it will last longer. Hokks are often more than good enough, and I see no fifferenc ein catch rate between the chaep and the more pricey ones.

But if you buy in sports and dedicated tackle shops, be ready to pay a premium, simply because these places only carry the popular brand names. Look at Coop, Clas Ohlson, Biltema etc.
Hi my friend , wife’s nail polish LOL I bet she’s happy about that, very good tip
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts