World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone know about the quality of fishing in Pathos in Cyprus, especially on the shore? Any charter boats either? :confused:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Brand I am afraid you will struggle, I was there 18 months ago and apart from the occasional mullet most of the locals fished with freshwater style poles/whips. Off of Paphos harbour, the locals were catching a small sprat like fish about between 2-5 inches long on a flour and water paste bait, these they cook like white bait apparently.

Off the rock marks and beaches I saw more sprat like fish being caught and a variety of bream in the same size bracket caught on small sections of prawn on a freshwater pole no more than 20 ft from the shore.

Its fishing but not as we know it. Enjoy the break.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Small mulet can be a pain! Try light spinning rod with bubble float and two foot trace N0 12 hook and a matchstick size piece of calamari. Cast and retrieve as if spinning! If you are lucky to get garfish or mackeral freeline livebait them without a weight. Rod not needed - take large spool of 50lb line. The garfish can go out 200-300 yards to where the game fish like leerfish, dorada might be. October November best time! Packs of small harbour rag can be bought but you need a local to tell you where!

·
Registered
199 Posts
i lived there for a few years and the fishing wasnt the best TBH, around the harbour u will find most people just fish with poles and go for the smaller stuff. for the mullet sprat they use a length of line with numerous hooks on it and wrap this around a bread ball - works quite well, as does the flour/water mix.

there is a silver bream type of fish that does fight well and is very fast, these u can catch from the area by the castle.

we had quite a bit of sucess of the beach at episkopi ( far from Paphos) at the far LH end where it is rocky.

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
swiss said:
i lived there for a few years and the fishing wasnt the best TBH, around the harbour u will find most people just fish with poles and go for the smaller stuff. for the mullet sprat they use a length of line with numerous hooks on it and wrap this around a bread ball - works quite well, as does the flour/water mix.

there is a silver bream type of fish that does fight well and is very fast, these u can catch from the area by the castle.

we had quite a bit of sucess of the beach at episkopi ( far from Paphos) at the far LH end where it is rocky.
thanks for info ill try had some bream type fish last year ,very fast thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts