World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum and am looking for some advice.

I'm headed off down to stay with my Mum in Gweek next week along with my family and my Uncles family.

We are both keen anglers and fish fly mainly. We have access to a small inflatable and fancy a spot of fishing in Gweek itself, mainly around where the boat yard is.

Having been there before I realise how tidal it is so I am hoping to get a few tips on here as to how to fish and what to expect.

Are we allowed to fish from a boat in this area? Or does it have to be bank?

What fly patterns are good? I hear that there are Mullet and Bass in the creek. Maybe small fry imitations?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Rosa

·
Registered
164 Posts
should be plenty of mullet in there but think you have to stick on the banks unless you have your own boat as for flys i cant help but have just started fly fishing for trout and intend to start on mullet so maybe you could help me with flys youve caught on as id like to not go for the bread fly if i dont have to

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Bud,

I'm going to be trying some largish shrimp patterns. A bit heavy but should cast ok with a 7-8 # line.

Other than that some small fry imitations such as butcher etc.

I'll let you know my results.

Rosa

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Fishing from a boat is allowed but fishing for bass from a boat is not and any bass caught from a boat must be returned Fishing from the bank is ok any bass kept must be over 37.5cm there are no other restrictions in this area other than a ban on using sandeels as a bait whilst fishing from a boat

Recent catches from gweek point include silver eel ,flouder,mullet and bass
Hope you enjoy your stay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well -

The tide wasn't playing nice for a family trip, eg - high tides midnight and mid-day, but friday was late afternoon so much better.

I caught a number of small brown trout, I'm guessing theres a run of sea trout sometime soon. These were caught on a Dawl Bach and one on a spinner, I'm suprised it could get the spinner in its mouth to be honest.

These were caught from the boatyard.

Fishing from the point off the roadside ( out towards helston over the second bridge - Sharp bend in the road and a layby - walk down steep back through some trees) I had a couple of knocks on spinners, the fly was too hard to fish because of the wind. I tried ledgered worm but just got crabs. :unsure:
I saw A LOT of fish about - mainly mullet and the odd bass - I got followed in by a good bass, saw the spinner in its mouth and struck and got nothing, pulled the spinner back past it and same again....... I was frustrated..

I saw a mullet nosing in the weed - IT WAS HUGE...

Anyway, I think the mullet would respond well to very small flies on very light line. Other than that float fished harbour rag. The shop bought ones are too big.

We didn't take the boat out this time... Family commitments meant lack of time for self indulgence.

I will deffo be going again, hopefully with the tide and wind right I should get better results.

Cheers

Rosa

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice report Rosa, good to know you had some sport during your stay. Hopefully you will get to lock horns with one of those big mullet next time! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts