World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Off on a weeks break down to Newquay with a few mates in about a months time, been a few times before but never done any fishing so thought i'd give ot a go this time.

Just looking for some info on some easily accessable and safe marks from which to fish, I heard theres various good marks for float fishing and spinning but never really done much of that before, usually just the good old ledger it out and wait for a bite.

Staying in a caravan park called smugglers haven so nearest beach is Porth Beach so any ideal marks around there would be superb!

Cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any suggestions anyone?

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Can't help you with this one as most of my fishing has been done around the Penzance & Mevagissey area.

Someone will come up with some info for you soon.:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
If it's mainly float fishing your doing and you mention safety as a prime objective.

You should try from the harbour right up to the old lifeboat slip, (on the headland).

Loads of marks along that stretch. All sheltered from sw winds and swell. tight lines and enjoy the hols!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply,

Looking to do some bottom fishing tho to be honest as never really done any float fishing or spinning before.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Time to learn...its easy!! Just ask, and you will be shown.

philtherod

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget daytime beach fishing too many surfers and swimmers around.:yucky:
Ok, so float fishing or spinning it is. Aside from the harbour any other spots I could try that meet the criteria.. no harm in having a bit of choice!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked out the website, pretty helpfull, still not sure location wise though. I know how to get to towan beach, is the harbour far from there?

·
Registered
516 Posts
On that link that Snaggletoothe gave you numbers 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all within walking distance of each other. To get to 6, 7, and 8 from the harbour just walk around the cliffpath out to the NW..Check out one of the satalite atlas's for a clearer idea.

With the harbour in the middle of town. As mentioned before if you want to go ledgering off the beaches go early morning or late evening it should be quiet enough to fish.

There are miles of beaches around Newquay, all of which fish reasonably well for the usual suspects.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I know that you are staying in Newquay, but the marks around there can get vey busy and over-fished. If you have transport and don't mind a 30 min drive, there are so many more better options available. You mention access - are these based upon mobility restrictions or safety for kids? If you explain which I'm sure the forum will give you some good ideas.

Try to re-post a few days before you come down and I'm sure you will be given the latest gen on where to go.

·
Registered
370 Posts
if you are staying at porth,try porth island,right hand side of porth beach,it has its moments throwing up alsorts when the nets arent about,from ray to mackeral,there are several marks on the right hand side,although some are quite high up ,i personally would walk out to the end and then down to the right,sandeel on the bottom should pick up the ray ,gurnard ,turbot etc etc ,feather or float for mack and gars,just b4 you go over the little wood bridge there is a mark on the right called the blow hole ,can be good for bass,fishing towards the island ,drop bait in close ,big big peeler baits,just over the wood bridge and down to the left there is a mark called flat rocks,fish across the beach into the river ,dont over cast harbour rag should find some good flounder and schoolies,you can find a few small rag further up the river in the slate rocks,hope this helps,if you head further into newquay you are likely to have floats and sets of fifteen feathers flying within inches of your ears,not my cup of tea,but hey each to there own

1 - 14 of 14 Posts