World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jonny 3 Rods has suggested we maintain a separate thread containing generalised tips regarding fishing in Norway. It will, hopefully, save forum members necessarily having to search through the, in excess of 400, previous posts.

Posts, rather than venue specific tips, could cover things like travel, tackle and techniques; also what to take with you - certain commodities, including drinks, are particularly expensive!

So here's Jonny's first tip about the use of Credit Cards as opposed to cash.

My tip, although I probably have several, after 3 trips to Norway now is.

If possible pay by credit card for things in Norway. I took cash with me and got an exchange rate of 9.1 NOK to the UK pound.

Paid for a few boat petrol on my credit card and got a rate of 9.45 a couple of times and 9.52 ,3 times.

Nok did not vary much from when I got cash in the UK so saves nearly 5% on the credit card:bye2:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
For thos of you travelling to northern Norway in the summer months, this could be more useful than the daylight page...

http://vannstand.no/index.php/nb/english

The tide might not be as varied as you got in th UK, but is definetly important in Norway as well :)

Reactions: liam smith

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Last time out we bought all our food in the local supermarket. Phurkin hell it cost us a fortune. This year we took food with us AND saved ourselves at least 300 quid Probably more. As regards booze Duty free is the only way to go. One other thing, Dont bother with the Greys excursion travel rods (lifetime guarantee/ unbreakable) Took 3 SNAPPED 3 on the first day out.:thumbdown:sad:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just to expand on the above re taking food, rather than stuff loads in your suitcase and face excess baggage charges book an extra rod tube (usually around 20 euro's) and stuff this with food. Can also pop a couple of ice packs in to keep things cool in there.
We managed to take over loads of ham, cheese, choc bars etc. As Nick says, saved a fortune.

·
Registered
785 Posts
surely one pays more interest with a credit card than with a normal cash card, which should work in norway, as my spanish savings bank one does in the UK. seriously considering a session in norway, the sight of those lure caught hake is a major pull. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thinking of going in november, poss haugsund are there any tackle shops for bait etc? Take telescopics or is there anywhere to hire gear from? ive heard that charters are a bit thin on the ground so we are thinking of just a bit of shore fishing any advise on where ?
we are only going for weekend but will be hiring a car, all sugestions welcome. Is the beer really that expensive? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For thos of you travelling to northern Norway in the summer months, this could be more useful than the daylight page...

http://vannstand.no/index.php/nb/english

The tide might not be as varied as you got in th UK, but is definetly important in Norway as well :)
Hence the reason I put early, late trips and the winter shore fisherman. We dont all go to Norway to fish from boats you know! :bleh:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
were going in early feb and have booked extra baggage for the flight.

were all taking a cool box. we,ll pay for extra baggage and fill the box with food ect up to the 20kg limit.

on the way back it will be full of fillets.
Don't know the rules, but it would pay to double check the export rules for fish fillets and also the import ones when you get back.

·
Registered
605 Posts
most of the fishing tackle shops dont sell bait - on the whole Norwegians just use lures which is why so many foreigners do well.

As a result there are numerous places you can dig superb lugworm and get other kinds of fresh bait - but you need a good garden fork - anyone seen a short handled worm rake?

It would be really nice to post an image here, but do i really have to have an internet address to do so?

1 - 20 of 235 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.