World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am off to norway :) for a weeks fishing in june, we will be fishing the southern norway shore and boat championships and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on fishing this area :confused:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Can't help you with advice mate. But judging by the size of the cod pirks I saw in a tackle shop in Stavanger - I would guess you are going to have a good time.

The tackle shop was stocked with a lot of pirks, and rubber eels. Black and red seemed to feature a lot in their tackle.

The may help you with lures.

Also, as Norway has no tide to speak of, it is impossible to collect worms or crabs etc. Therefore all baits are fish/squid based.

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
is it avik brygge your going to im going there in june ive been told they mostly use pirks and lures. as baits are unavailable there, my source says that if you take some with you it gives you a big edge ,more importantly it also annoy,s the many germans who fish there. main species are pollock codling coalfish and some truly giant ling up to 80lb good luck ps there also said to be huge shoals of mackerel come in from march onwards

·
Registered
325 Posts
STE1950

Don't forget to take your beach towel for the sun bed.

Fred

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi halken, It might be an idea to take some lumo pirks from fishtek they glow for about 20 mins with a 2 minute daylight charge they are popular with the Irish boats who fish deep water, and as the depth of water will be similar taking a couple would be a good idea, http://www.fishtek.co.uk or telephone 01647441020

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live and fish in Oslo, originally from the western coast of Norway. I guess you can use the same equipment as used in UK. The fish size in Sothern Norway are generally more modest than the size of fish on the Western coast, so no heavy equipment are required unless you go offshore.

For beach (Well, there are few or no beaches here :D ) I use either beachcasters 4-6 oz or 3-3,5 lb carp rods, as nice fish can be caught near shore and long casts are seldom required. An uptider might be used from boat and shore. Heavy beachcasters might be useful when fishing from rocks or for deep water, but are not necessary. Prawns, mackerel and herring are the most used and effective baits, I often use a cocktail of prawn and fish or mussels and fish. Often can a spinning rod with a 20-40g pirk, spoon, wobbler or jig be the most effective for both cod and coalie and catch fish when the baits are left untouched, good pirks can be bought in Norway.

For boat I would recommend a 12-20 lb rod for inshore fishing, and a 30-50lb for offshore or deep sea (200-400m). I use braided line on all my reels. I also use lighter equipment when fishing is slow, a 8 lb rod with an Ambassadeur 6000 or similar gives good sport even with small fish or for targeting ballan wrasse with whole shrimp. For cod the most effective is a shiny pirk and worms(proven in a test lately), in Norway they are called Svenskepilk and Gummimakk. Proven to be effective by decades of use to deliver big cod, I suggest you buy a 250g Svenskepilk and a set of 6/0 Gummimakk on 0,90 mono, you sholud be able to find them in most shops. A small strip of mackerel on the Gummimark adds to the attraction. I have also used large rigged Eddystone Eels with succsess for pollack and coalie. For baitfishing mackerel and herring gives most bites, either used in strips on 2/0-4/0 hooks, or whole fillets on size 6/0-10/0 hooks. Fresh baits are the best. I have hooked small 4 lb ling on a whole mackerell fillet and 12/0 circle hook, so don't be cheap on the bait when fishing in areas with big fish. If you are really lucky, you might hook up with the 200 lbs grandmother halibut on a bottom bounced herring :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the fishing wasnt very good, the holiday which included the southern norway beach and boat championships was great but the quality of fishing was not what we were promised there was about 150 from england there plus some europeans we fished four days and the best fish in our party was only4lb wedid ok in the competition but it was a species hunt rather than a specimen hunt, considering that we are all fairly good match anglers (8 of us )we were disapointed with the area. next year we are going back to norway but we are going across to bergen and staying in radoy hopefully with better results this time

·
Registered
118 Posts
halken said:
the fishing wasnt very good, the holiday which included the southern norway beach and boat championships was great but the quality of fishing was not what we were promised there was about 150 from england there plus some europeans we fished four days and the best fish in our party was only4lb wedid ok in the competition but it was a species hunt rather than a specimen hunt, considering that we are all fairly good match anglers (8 of us )we were disapointed with the area. next year we are going back to norway but we are going across to bergen and staying in radoy hopefully with better results this time
Hi Halken.
I was there too, we probably met. Although I didn't fish the comp.
I thought people would be disappointed. You know, there is a lot of wonderful fishing in Norway but it starts above Bergen.
But; what where you promised and by whom?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trip was organizes by sam harris a local fishing journalist and he had 2 meetings before we went he told us he took a few peeler crab with him and after he had been fly fishing for a couple of days he used the peeler crab (which was in a poor state by then and he was hammering out the cod upto 5lb . While he was doing this he was being watched by some german anglers and seeing what he was catching started fishing around him using lures and they didnt catch much .So we took hundreds of crab with us but we didnt see any of the 5lb fish he told us of. Originally the boundaries were from avik brygge to lindesnes lighthouse but thes were opened up for the shore anglers and even then the lads who did a lot of travelling didnt get the big fish we thought were there. 12 of us are going back next year but we are sailing into bergen and stopping at radoy about 45 km north of there hopefully seeing some better fishing next year

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi.
There are a few times and a few places I suppose in that neck of the woods where you can expect a couple of decent cod but I wouldn't expect to hammer them out.
There did seem to be a lot of bad blood, but I didn't really understand what was going on. Actually I treid to keep out of it.
What was the general feeling of the contestants towards the organisers?
Robert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
every one we talked to was disappointed all thinking we were going to get good fish. Then we got talking to a lad from north sheilds who was living and working as a fish filleter, he had bought some maps and made a pretty good job of marking the best places to fish unfortunatley for us the photocopier broke down and there were only 2 copies the bloke who won the comp (chris stringer was supposed to have one and his mate another. we only found out about this on the 3rd day and of course this made things worse. at the presentation they co..ed up a few placings then decided the last days prizes would be given on the ferry, there was a group of lads sitting behind us who were due prizes and they went mad at not been able to photgraph there mates getting there prizes . so it left things unfinished at the venue and lett down the prize winners. i have had a letter in the last couple of weeks offering us places in a competition in sweden ran by the same organizers next year but we have decided to go back to norway next year in june to fish around the bergen area.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Halken. Who was the organiser.
I was there but didn't get involved in the details.
When are you going up to Bergen. Will you be boat fishing or only fishing from the shore or is it the competition that interests you.
The prize table seemed pretty loaded.

Robert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi robert there are 12 of us going next year 2 or 3 will be boat fishing and the rest of us are going shore fishing, we might have a freindly competition between us but the main reason is to try and get some quality fishing done .Any help or advice you have will greatly appreiciated
cheers kenny

·
Registered
118 Posts
halken said:
Hi robert there are 12 of us going next year 2 or 3 will be boat fishing and the rest of us are going shore fishing, we might have a freindly competition between us but the main reason is to try and get some quality fishing done .Any help or advice you have will greatly appreiciated
cheers kenny
Hi Kenny. The best way I can help you is to suggest that you make sure that you have a big roomy boat with plenty of power, preferably a diesel and a good plotter. The boat should certainly be capable of 15 knots. Look for reefs and such that come out of depths of 150 - 300 m up to 20 m or so from the surface and fish the edges with medium weight spinning gear for coalfish, pollack and cod. If you manage to locate big shoals of small coalfish then fish underneath these with self-hooking rigs or big shads (18cm+), for big cod. Also try fishing at night as the bigger fish are quite often more active then and there is often less wind. Big fish is the issue here, at that time of year you may be lucky and find some big fish but you increase your chances many times over if you have a guide that knows the area. One thing that I did notice in southern Norway was that many of the contestants fished so close to land that they could of done just as well from the rocks. If you don’t feel confident enough to go out and look for the fish, then you should again get a guide. If not don’t bother with a boat.
Re shore fishing; I haven’t done much of that in Norway. But if you find lugworm beds my guess is that you'll find a few good plaice, 4 lbers are quite common.
Another tip is that you should take a hand held compass with you as almost none of the rental boats have a compass. Don’t know why; so take one with you.
Robert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info robert i will speak to the lads and see what they say
cheers kenny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello. If your going fishing in Norway a good tip would be to post your questions at http://fiskersiden.no/forum2/
That's Norways largest forum for fishing and there's guaranteed to be someone there who knows the area you are going to. They won't mind you posting in English either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts