World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hello there,

Your not asking much are you :)

Ok i'll give you a starter for 10 as I asked for a little guidance on this site & got nothin :confused:

Shore, I have spent a fair bit of time fishing the Rame peninsula & through Whitsand bay. A spinning spot I would say would have to be worth a try is Queener, can get crowded so get up early! or Penlee. All the beaches in the bay are worth a try for bass when the surf is running, I have picked up a few Turbot & spider crabs when it's clear & calm. The spiders don't fight much :rolleyes:

On the other sideof the town there is The Warren area for wrasse, Stoke Point area for bass/mak/gar & supposedly Ray?

Boat, I have struggled to get marks but get on the net & check out the dive sites for wrecks. Have a drift about the Breakwater, Picklecombe & the Draystone.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mate.

The best and most underated mark in Plymouth Sound is Mount Batten Breakwater. For shear variety this is your mark. Mackerel, Garfish, Mullet, Pollack, Conger, Bass, Wrasse, Thornback Ray and Doggies can all be caught from here, along with Pout and Whiting in season. Best area is the far end, my own preference being the left hand corner. Float fish live sandeels ( available from Clives Tackle and Bait.....01752 228940 ) for the Mackerel, Gar and Pollack, ledger live Prawn.....caught from the breakwater in a drop net.......for the Rays, Crab for the Wrasse, Frozen sandeel for the Doggies, normal baits for everything else. Float or ledger bread on the Plymouth facing side for the mullet.
Pick a rising tide, preferably when there's a bit of cloud cover, and you should catch plenty.

WATCH FOR THE LOCAL SPEED BOAT OWNERS AND YACHT OWNERS AS THEY DO LIKE TO COME IN VERY CLOSE AND CATCH YOUR LINE. THIS THEY DO, I AM SURE, FOR A LAUGH AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT IN THE BAR AFTERWARDS.......... :mad:

Hope this helps a little. There are plenty of other marks........West Hoe Pier, Devil's Point, Elphinstone, Mutton Cove, etc, but for ease of access and fishing you wont beat Mount Batten.

G

·
I agree with you about MontBatten Breakwater, I have trevelled down there and had a wonderful time there! Excellent float fishing throughout the day and night! Great fun!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I dont hnow of any places to catch eels in the sound. Sorry. They are quite cheap to buy so I don't normaly bother trying for them. Rocky pindar is accesable by water 3hrs either side of high water so you can always go there!

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heaps of shore marks in and around plymouth mate -
Devils point
rusty anchor
west hoe pier
lions den,
royal yacht club
elphinstone car park and
mountbatten breakwater to name but a few. (oh, not forgetting all the marks along the plym at this time of year for the flounder.)

....and thats without even entering into the Tamar! (which seems absolutely toppers with fish at the mo) - there you have mutton cove, floating pontoon (devonport), pottery quay and plenty more to boot just on the plymoutyh side.

outside plymouth (but still very near on the devon side) you have bovisand, heybrook, rennee rocks, oodles of places at wembury, seasons point - and thats before you cross the yealm and get into good huss and ray country.

plenty to keep ya busy :clap: . Tight lines

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there
im looking for some ray marks in plymouth and what bait to use and what rig to use etc.
can anyone help me please
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
pulleys n running ledgers. for the tamar, fillets of gar make a cracking ray bait, but live prawn also killer.

over christmas, a few rays went to rag, but many reckon that that was summit to do with all the little shore crabs going for the rag bait, covering it, and then the thornies going for them whilst they ate. just another theory by those of us with too much time on our hands whilst fishing (or at least sitting on an estuary bank in the freezing cold watching 2 motionless rods during the slowest month of the year!!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
been fishing all the local marks using rag / mackerel / fake sandeels and spinners getting nothing at the moment , generally im a bolt rig from the bottom or 6 foot floats is anyone gettin any joy at the moment ??
BTW you can net live sandeels from the embankment theres always loads under the laira bridge just plopping around near the surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts