World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new member. I find myself in the Aegean Sea for a couple of months. I'm trolling on a sailboat, traveling at 8-9 knots.
I've been using a deep diving "rappala" type lure. It's very large.
Today I managed to find a Rapalla Magnum, which is smaller, but they tell me it's good for tuna.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Roberto

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Hi,
I'm a new member. I find myself in the Aegean Sea for a couple of months. I'm trolling on a sailboat, traveling at 8-9 knots.
Today I managed to find a Rapalla Magnum, which is smaller, but they tell me it's good for tuna.

Thanks,
Roberto
:sun:Just keep on trolling, there are fish there, you just need to find them.:fishing:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
roberto, there is a dedicated page for these questions, scroll down and look for europe, have a better chance of answers there. regards, woodsy.

G

·
Roberto has already posted there, but only had limited response.

Roberto, to simply catch some fish, you really need to start trolling the lures or fishing generally around some headlands, reefs, islands etc etc.
Pure open water will throw up the odd monster pelagic fish, but you'll stand a far better chance of catching lunch somewhere near a feature.

Think of it like a desert and an oasis. There is very little life out in the desert apart from the odd migrating creature. All the life gathers around the oasis.
The seabed as a whole is the desert and any form of feature will be the oasis.

Hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi,

Thanks,
Roberto
Hi Roberto
And welcome to the forum. Um ... you might find Rapalas rather difficult to set, especially given the variability of speed with your average sailing boat. What you might find preferable as lures you can just deploy and forget about whilst you carry on with the 'real business' of sailing are Tuna feathers or Cedar plugs. They will work at virtually any speed and, as well as the Tuna species, will also catch Dorado. The latter are excellent eating!

With friends and relations in the 'States, and given that you're there for a couple of months, it might be worth getting the odd one sent over if you can't source them locally. Here're a couple of urls that illustrate what they look like - http://www.captharry.com/product/Lures-Accessories-Lures-Williamson-Lures/Flash-Feather-Lure/Lures/1107.html and http://www.captharry.com/product/Lures-Accessories-Lures-Sea-Striker-Cedar-Aluminum-Lures/Cedar-Plugs/Lures/179.html.

Given the depths of the Aegean, other than very close to the shoreline, I'd try looking for bird activity - either collections close to the surface feeding on baitfish being forced up by predators or high lone birds tracking in straight lines - not just flying back to shore - they can often spot individual fish. Floating rubbish would be something else to target. Small fish and pelagic crabs are often found under the smallest bits of structure, if it's been in the water for a few days, and the predators are aware of that.

Best of Luck, and let's know whether you're successful.
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had some good fortune yesterday.
We were on a marathon sail from Fethiye, Turkey to Crete. Thirty straight hours of beating the rough seas and heavy winds.

The first bit of luck was seeing a giant sperm whale taking a nap on the surface. It was magnificent somewhere around 18 meters long.

Shortly thereafter I got a strong hit, but lost the line, I like to believe that the line was bitten through, but more likely, it was my poor knot making skills.

While still in rough seas, off the coast of Crete, I got another hit. This time I was able to land the bluefin (35 to 40 pounds)

It took a 4" very pale green "squid". Kept close to the boat (2nd or third wake) On my other line I had a 3" "Wildeye" Swim Shad, that was chewed up and lost its tail.

After docking in Sitia, I dropped my wildey into the water, just to see if it still had action without the tail. WHAM a big barracuda took it right in from of my eyes. To my delight, he shook himself off the hook while I was waiting for my wife to have a look, so I didn't have to deal with it. I wasn't looking forward to taking the hook out.

Last night we enjoyed the most delicious tuna I've ever experienced. Tonight we're taking some of the tuna to a local restaurant, where they will grill it for us.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Roberto

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts