World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it going?

I am fairly new to sea angling and I was wondering if anyone had boat fished the moray/banff coast from places such as cullen or hopeman? what species/bait and how far oot do you need to go?

Cheers

F

·
0 Posts
There are a few topics on this area already

Here is one for you

Moray Black Isle side

I myself live near to Elgin and regularly fish around Hopeman, Burghead, Lossiemouth and Buckie.

Where abouts are you?

As for the boat fishing scene then i can't really say as i have not boat fished out of Lossiemouth for a while now. I normally boat fish up at Scrabtster and Gairloch

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers al

i am also based near elgin but i have done most of my sea fishing on skye. its a bit of a drive though and now i have the boat i would like to try locally. i heard that most of the moray firth had been fished out and to be honest ive never had a great day from the shore. looking at the coastline you would think there would be some decent marks though

F

·
0 Posts
There are some decenish marks around the area. One of the best people to talk to is a fishing tackle shop owner in Elgin called Des. His shop is off the main drag and he is one of the friendlyist persons i have met in fishing. He always tries his best to get you marks to fish.
Pm me for his address and directions if you don't know where his shop is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aye i know who you mean, thats great i will speak to him thanks. what sort of species/baits work?

F

·
0 Posts
tangler said:
what sort of species/baits work?
Same as most places really. Flatties like lug (slightly old is better i have found), ragworm with a bit od squid to tip it off. Off the rocks pollock, coalfish, codling and wrasse will fall for most baits like squid, mussel, mackerel and lug.

Out on the boats then mackerel and squid seem to be best. Sand eel can also get some fish but not as many. Ling and cod really go for the mackerel though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice one al, thanks. i will probably give it a shot this weekend - will let you know how i got on. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
went for a couple of hours on saturday night. got a ling, 2 codling and a pollock but the sea had a fair swell on it and it was getting pretty blowy so i didnt stay out longer. great crack! :D

F

·
0 Posts
good result tangler. If you ever fancy having a fishing buddy giz a shout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aye nice one - will gi you a shout some weekend. you got an email address?

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are some good rock marks in Portsoy, Macduff, Gamrie, Cullykhan, New Aberdour that all fish well in the right conditions and are not too far away from the Elgin area.
I've been told that Cullen is all right but it's mostly sand, good for flukies.

Most of my success in these areas comes when there is a good swell and an onshore blow.

If you need any help with any of these areas let me know....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers mate. i often thought it would be worthwhile drifting over the cullen area with lug for flatties - think a few will be living in that sand. how does it fish for mackerel ling or cod?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Probably your best person to ask is the guy that owns the tackle shop in Cullen, he seems to be reasonably clued up on whats being caught and where.

As I said I haven't fished there, just heard about it. Apparently they are catching Mackerel from Cullen and Portknockie Harbours.

Have fished Portsoy on several occasions and it is good for Cod, Ling, Saithe and even Mackerel of the rocks. Have tried Portknockie and Findochty both with some success.
If you're looking for a good Flattie area Banff Bay is good. Have seen several good fish caught from there, but the conditions as usual have to be right.

Will have to try Cullen..just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there.............
I`ve actually found a web site that would appear to have a few local anglers for the Moray Firth, especially around the Findhorn to Buckie coastline.
However, I dont see many Sea fisherman actually fishing in the area, only tourists?? :confused:
Most of my life I have spent many hours course fishing, but not much going in this part of the World for me, Even Scottish Water, with their loch Duntelchaig, Inverness, has withdrawn its FREE fishing pass to fish for Pike, :mad: although I`ve never been asked to see my old pass ever! so invested in the Beechcasters so that my Sons and I can partake in a bit of action, but unfortunately, unless you have a boat, where is that action? I`ve had many people talk to me and answer, Try Peterhead, or the rocks of Burghead(Kids and tackle to much of a risk..but now their much older) but I`d like to find a spot where were we can catch some decent flatties from the beaches, and maybe rock fishing for Pollack or even try to reach some Coddies!

I`ve seen local kids in the past taking dinner plate sized flatties from the mouth of the River Lossie opposite the shop/pub, but have`nt had much luck there, plus permits are required for the River :mad: which my Sons have.(no matter how much Des from the Angling Centre tells me. I still think fly/Salmon fishing is overpriced?) :p
Even the River Lossie, my Sons catch more flatties 8 Km upstream than they do in the Sea, and the sizes are embarassing.
So in essence of my question.................is there anywhere along our coastline that truly holds a regular head of fish, that can be reached with rod/line, so that we can return with at least something to eat!

There is also a boat `Topcat` that I believe fast exits from Lossie Harbour during the Summer Months. I have spoken to the Captain(sorry name eludes me, but met him with a mutal friend `Stu S`(work)(also related to Brian M....ex fmn??(ex work?)) at one of the Tackle sales in Bishopmill? I should try and regain contact and try that method of fishing sometime. Would be great to see my Boys faces with a full house of mackeral before trying some wreck fishing. Plus all the gadgets and Gizmo`s on board, and good local knowledge, should make for a pleasant Days/evenings fishing.

So maybe we`ll meet at Des`s or on the shore?
Till then take care

F

·
0 Posts
charic said:
I`ve seen local kids in the past taking dinner plate sized flatties from the mouth of the River Lossie opposite the shop/pub, but have`nt had much luck there, plus permits are required for the River :mad:
If you fish the sea side of the bridge crossing the river then you do not require a permit. Its only from the bridge upstream ;)

As for talking to Des! Fantastic bloke and if you only pop in for 5 mins you'll normally be 15 to 30. Very helpful bloke and a true character.

Might see you in Des's as i go there alot to chat and pester him to take me out on his boat :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ive had good fishing at garmouth off the beach. there are bass about and mackerel later in the year so if you are fishing for them dont let anyone tell you you need a permit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
forgot to ask - you boys know anywhere i can dig decent ragworm locally?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Guys
Dont listen to sciroccoGTX he speaks about flatties, just ask him how many he has caught from the shore!!!!! 9 times out of ten that dude catches nowt. hes so deranged hes even tried fishing while wearing marigolds. He thought for a while that maybe he smelled a tad too bad for the fish, hence the marigolds.
I will tell you some good places to fish The rocks at hopeman harbour are supposed to be good at night in an onshore blow I remember a young lad had a 23lb cod 500yds out of hopeman harbour, so there must be good fish there. The nearest to you would be Portsoy for good rough ground fishing. from elgin head to portsoy when you get through the speed limit signs take your first left. continue allong that road and take the second left. You will now be heading towards the outdoor swiming pool. When you reach the cliff top the road splits and there is a carpark of sorts. Park up and head up the dirt track past the white house there is then another dirt track takes you out to the right. (you could go across the field but the track is easier) at the end of the track cross the style and fish almost any mark that you can get to they all produce fish. Most of the best fish are right at your feet except at the far point where you need to cast a little further out and perch on top of a dodgy rock. But there are good pollock there try spinning a jelly worm you will be surprised. At night that whole edge is awash with big conger the norm is pollock ling conger cod wrasse rockling etc
Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
ultimatecodfather said:
Hi Guys
Dont listen to sciroccoGTX he speaks about flatties, just ask him how many he has caught from the shore!!!!! 9 times out of ten that dude catches nowt. hes so deranged hes even tried fishing while wearing marigolds. He thought for a while that maybe he smelled a tad too bad for the fish, hence the marigolds.
Would like to point out to MR UCodfather that I never actually said that I have caught much flatfish. Also the marigolds were actually 'Serine inhibitors'
As for catching fish, well he's probably right about the 9 times out of 10. Every nine minutes I don't catch something......

Would like to ask folk if they've any superglue remover, so that UCodfather can get his boat of the side of the harbour...and to remove his rod and reel from his shed.....

He's right about the area in Portsoy, I showed him the marks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts