World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I'm new to this site.

I moved to bristol a while ago and I want to start doing some sea fishing

I've done a bit years ago so i know some of the termanology, .

Can anyone tell me what i might expect to catch from somewhere like Severn Beach, or surrounding areas?

Also, has anyone got any top local tips on best rigs/bait etc.??

many thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
First of all welcome to the site. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and already got company for a few trips. I live in Wiltshire and started my serious sea fishing in the Bristol Channel 4 years ago. Most of the advice which led me to start catching was from Steve Ace at Veals in Big Market, Bristol I suggest you go in there one lunch time by some coffee's from the drinks machine a joint in the banter you'll soon be catching.

If you travel a bit further down the channel to Layde Bay at Clevedon then you'll catch thornback ray, conger, huss, whiting, COD, bass, doggies oh and did I mention COD! baits are lug, squid and peeler crab all available from Veals with the lastest form reports. Be seeing you around then. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bristolfisher

Welcome to the site. Try Brean Down Beach. If you are using two rods the better. The technique i use it called line backing i cast out about 21/2 hrs before high tide and walk back with the tide I only reel in when i run out of line or have a decent bite my second rod is just as normal cast and catch. Any rigs/traces will do but breakaways leads are a must. Baits to use are rag/lug squid and mackerel. Ive found that any tide will fish. Hope this helps?

Woodster

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
bristol fisher said:
thanks for the advice, that starts me on my way

Do you get better results fishing a night tide or day tide.

ta
bristolfisher,

From experience morning tides (7am - 0900am) and evening tides again the same time have been most productive for me. The height of tide can be aprob the lower the tide the more people on the beach the high tides you are fishing on the sea defences. Hopes this helps

Woodster

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
hi bristol fisher.

the further down the channel you go the more species of fish there are.
the top end of the channel(seven beach) this time of year is mainly flatties and silver eels.though there is always the chance of bass and strap conger.over the winter months you can catch cod and whiting aswell.

i would suggest visitng steve at reel fun on portishead marina.he will give you good advice and sells decent bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts